Dreams and go to motors of your youth?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Dreams and go to motors of your youth?

Post by Dadio »

I recently picked up what for me for a long time in my youth was the motor of dreams , the Tamiya (Mahuchi) RS-540SD Black Motor Sprint :!: Every Tamiya build manual had them in as THE upgrade motor , long before I started buying Radio Race Car or Model Car Monthly the black motor was the motor of dreams for me and my friends to drool over , I never did get one , I did get a more mainstream dream motor the Le Mans 240s and it was a heap of fun but never really worked in my Hot shot as the run time was too short (I probably over geared it :oops: ) but it was not my dream motor or really my go to motor , not back then .
This leads me onto my go to motor , the one I kept buying and that was the Demon 27HT , a standard class motor that just really worked in my Hot Shot , the down side was the motor bushings , they just wore out really fast , one or two meetings ,maybe more if you were hot on the lube , I probably wasn't that good at maintenance back then :( , I'd love to find a mint Demon 27HT but I just never see them up for sale and I guess they just got thrown out when used up .
So what were your dream motors and go to motors way back in them day ? , not what are they now but back then when it was real and new!
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Re: Dreams and go to motors of your youth?

Post by juicedcoupe »

I'm younger than you are, so that definitely has some relevance.

Even though I was always a RC10 fan, I always had a liking for Trinity motors. Seeing that the mid/late 90's was the Losi/Trinity heyday, it kinda makes sense.

Add in the colorful motor variety, all the big name racers using them, and their massive advertising. Trinity was everywhere then.

I also kinda have a thing for Kyosho Mega motors and Duratrax Powerlines. That is probably nothing more than memories of the Tower Hobbies catalog.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

My dream motors, that I never had the money for, were all the Kyosho motors..loved the red, blue & green colors. I finally got a nib 480t last year that is my precious. My go-to motor when I was racing was the first Slot Machine..that’s what the track gave out and it was a great, consistent motor. I had the gearing and runtime figured out..just couldn’t keep my driving consistent! The Green Machine is awesome looking too but I never raced it.

-Brad

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My everyday runners were a Reedy Competition stock and a Paragon stock. For a change up, I had a Trinity Speedworks 427 and a pair of Trinity Matched Madness modified motors. I didn't have a Clodbuster but felt like the MM set was a bargain way to get 2 mods cheaper than buying 2 separate mod motors. Just had to tweak polarity and timing on the reverse rotation motor. My 427 didn't hold up well. The rotor came loose from the center shaft and would spin on the shaft without the car going forward. I had a machinist true up the comm on a lathe. Of he held it by the shaft that might have weakened the security of the shaft in the rotor.

My dream motors were a Black Magic Voodoo (100,000 rpms advertised!), a Reedy Modified and a Twister Modified. The local consistently fast guys had Reedy and Twister mods... and really well cared for matched cell NiCd packs.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I guess age is a big thing in this , I guess I was active between 80 and 86-7 , my last car was a Meteor in the year it came out . Matched cells were another thing again .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Le Mans 360 Gold
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

My overall dream motor was the Revolution Insane. But all those lemans gems were in the running too. Things of beauty.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Dadio wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:11 am I recently picked up what for me for a long time in my youth was the motor of dreams , the Tamiya (Mahuchi) RS-540SD Black Motor Sprint :!:
Great motor! I have the blue end Endurance version in my 956.
20220419_190430.jpg
When I was younger, I just loved the Le Mans 480T, but I have never had a car worthy of really tracking one down for. I was fortunate enough to find one in a $20 grab-box of plane parts I bought awhile back. Still waiting on a car worthy though...............
20220419_190738.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Strange timing. I just made an offer on my go to and current dream motor. I can't say what it is yet because you vultures will snipe me! Everyone is against me owning it, I just know it!
Attachments
1f5b589a-84fb-4f4e-b532-2020ab66422f_521623359889348.gif
1f5b589a-84fb-4f4e-b532-2020ab66422f_521623359889348.gif (413.69 KiB) Viewed 942 times
1f5b589a-84fb-4f4e-b532-2020ab66422f_521623359889348.gif
1f5b589a-84fb-4f4e-b532-2020ab66422f_521623359889348.gif (413.69 KiB) Viewed 942 times
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

All the mod motors were out of my price range and driving capabilities. I ran a Joel Johnson Signature for a bit. My two favorites from bitd were the Green Machine and the B&R Magnum.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Ooo ! Never heard of a B+R Magnum , have to look that up :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I had astro-flight turbo 05 motors. The oversized brush hoods got in the way on most of my cars, but they ran awesome.

Other than that one, I ran trinity machine wound since they ran well and were halfway in between hand mods price wise. Triads, a few others.

I rewound stock motors which usually ran once before I needed to resolder early on until I could afford better motors

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

jwscab wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:02 am I had astro-flight turbo 05 motors. The oversized brush hoods got in the way on most of my cars, but they ran awesome.

Other than that one, I ran trinity machine wound since they ran well and were halfway in between hand mods price wise. Triads, a few others.

I rewound stock motors which usually ran once before I needed to resolder early on until I could afford better motors
Just looked up the Astro Flight motor ,looks very cool and unique :D

TravelinTravis
Approved Member

Post by TravelinTravis »

Ran Twisters a little...but the sure fire go to since mid/late eighties....always...Revtech!
Attachments
20220420_134814[1].jpg

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Damn son that’s a cool collection, twister revtech then peak performance were my go to brands. Still have a twister wet mag 13x3 revtech 14x2 and a peak performance 11x1 pics to follow