Post your totally custom builds

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TViz
Approved Member

Post your totally custom builds

Post by TViz »

Hey folks,

Just looking to see if anyone has ever built anything one off, using parts from multiple vehicles, custom parts etc. I haven't seen any other post like this in this section.

I have a few old cars lying around that will never be complete and I was thinking of making some kind of frankenstein creation. Post what you have if you like. I need to get my creative juices flowing and any ideas help. Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Re: Post your totally custom builds

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

pics or names of cars would help generate ideas lol.I love frankensteining cars lol DON

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

I think I have the perfect buggy but will post it this weekend. 8)
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

2 of mine: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10033&p=96359 and http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5973
I've done more of these builds but searching the site for your old topics is not so easy :(

TViz
Approved Member

Post by TViz »

Very nice Mr. Ed! Pretty cool looking cars. And the wide range or parts to put these things together is awesome. I'm afraid I don't have that much vintage RC knowledge. Well, I've got an RC-10 Graphite chassis that's delaminating in the front but fixable, a blackfoot that's beat to hell, A gold pan, and a Mauri Samurai that's missing a ton of stuff. Neighbor gave it to me. Going to see what I can come up with and I think the RC-10 Graphite will be the chassis for the project.

Thunderstrike. When I think of a "frankenstein" type car, my mind instantly goes to something like the Ryuz ff. Completely custom one off creation that looked cool.

I'm going for some kind of crazy looking truck, just for fun. I've never raced.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Thanks.
You cou could use the graphite chassis to cut some custom shock towers with integrated supports for the truck body.
The wheels of the blackfoot could work on the gold-pan with adapters by CRP (still active on their ebay-shop). But I'm not an RC10 expert by far.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Will this qualify?

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12952

I still need to finish the paint work.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

here is my custom rc-10 sprint car i built. it has a custom works cage only, everything else i made. i wanted a complete rc-10 based sprint car not a conversion with a custom works front end so i came up with this. here is the build thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7078&start=0
Attachments
101_0002.jpg
101_0004.jpg
101_0003.jpg

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

For SaleImage

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

not many people have the skills to come up with a frankenstein build. for that you would need someone with multiple exposure to different cars and parts. Also, you would also need someone who has seen a lot of different engineering designs and who has been around since the very early 80's.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

You tryn to say you got be an old fart like us guys in our 40s and 50s hell thats still young!!!!!
lol.If i had more variety of cars to work with as parts no tellin what i would build lol.DON

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

here is one of mine that is at a slight stalled effort due to other priorities....I hope to pick it up soon, there is not a lot of magic left to do, just the cutting drilling and sawing.....

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16813&hilit=weapon

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

N2Deep wrote:not many people have the skills to come up with a frankenstein build. for that you would need someone with multiple exposure to different cars and parts. Also, you would also need someone who has seen a lot of different engineering designs and who has been around since the very early 80's.
I think it's more of a mentality issue which drives certain people to custom home-made stuff while others swear by the from-the-shelve.
Personally I started hacking on ly first car when I was only about 15: turning a boomerang into a bigwig for example. Others I have known for 20 years to always buy the latest and greatest and set them up copying the set-ups published in magazines or internet.
Ofcourse there's in-betweeners also ;)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Being a kid with no money, but lots of access to raw material and machines, it made sense to build whatever I wanted.

I went from a grasshopper to a lunchbox by scalping the grasshopper parts, using just the lunchbox tub, not the extra frame stands so that I ran the grasshopper wheels and tires and the van was a 'lowrider'. Running around on the asphalt, and not being content with that, my third car was a custom one that was a fully independent aluminum and fiberglass concoction that used frog rear driveline parts, which I had from trades or just having one of my buddies giving me a box of car parts, including a mostly complete frog. That part is a bit fuzzy now, but....that was a rough car, it was MOSTLY straight, but my machining skills where pretty bad....and haven't improved much, hahhah

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'd consider myself an "in-betweener". I would likely never be able to completely custom-build a car from random parts, but I do have good fabrication skills. I learned much of what I can do from my years of building custom-modded computers, long before you could buy pre-modded cases and just add colored parts & lights inside.

I guess I would say I'm not satisfied to just restore an Optima to "box art" or any other kind of copycat model. I don't want my cars to be faithful representations of a stock car or anybody else's car. I want them to have some unique features that other people haven't done, so I can answer those "Where did you get that part?" and "How did you make that?" kind of questions.

For one example, I recently fabbed a cool antenna tube mount for my Optima because the stock method of mounting the tube looks hokey to me. I bought some alloy antenna mounts (gold for one Optima, blue for Project CYANide) and figured out a way to mount them. It's just a small detail but it catches the eye and looks a bit different. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3