My First RC10. Early Cadillac.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fordtransman
Approved Member

My First RC10. Early Cadillac.

Post by fordtransman »

I finally gave in...
My First RC was a Blackfoot I got for my 12th birthday in 1988..I had to wait another month until Christmas for the Futaba Magnum Jr set... Less then a year later It had just about every bulletproof part I could find. Full Thorp diff/axles, practically the CRP catalog... and put the Futaba MC ESC in it.. I had to sell the entire setup for 300 bucks in early 90 when I had to pay for a Trombone (rental) that I wrapped around the other T-bone player ... Mom and Dad made me sell my toy to pay for it. (excellent work-parents) Then I got hooked in the onroad 12th scene a few months later.. I ran my 12L at the Ranch Pit Shop.... It was fast enough that It made quite a few laps on the 1/8 track (with a lot of laughs)

My brother was into the RC10... Prob why I resisted it. I am still waiting to post pictures of his car. Its a time capsule of hopups. He put a graphite AE chassis and bought the stealth trans for it.. alloy wheels and a Reedy Gold star... he stopped driving it when the motor slowed down. (we didnt know about turing them back then...) We drilled ONE hole in the front to install a long screw for the neighborhood's first stadium truck bodied RC10. On top of my bookshelf is his genuine Associated Baja body.. ( The Toyota one ) That someday I will get painted or send off to MrLexan for a backfill and reproductions...

So...
My coworker bought a 6016 RC10 that spent its life as an onroad car... unfortunately the correct RC10 jellybeans are gone..but it has onroad wheels and tires. The orignal six gear trans was never rebuilt..still has the double sided tape. Super clean...the bottom is an 8.5/10. It still has the wiper speed control. the original owner carefully drilled the 2 hole in each side for the CRP nerf bars (onroad car) Everything else is in place. The orignal box is near mint, and all manuals are still in the box.

He bought it because the auction included a really cool "channelled" Caddy body that he wanted for his Tamiya cars... He didnt know what an RC10 even was until I told him...

I matched what he paid for the RC10 and took it off his hands. (minus the body)

I will post pictures really soon...

My first RC10.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Re: My First RC10.

Post by victor_cathedral »

lets see those pics lol. grats,. welcome to the club of gold pans, at least i assume its gold :p ( also i LOL'd at the trombone attack )

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Pics taken... uploading. I guess the wheels/tires are Bolink. I didnt realize it still has the original Kit Stock Motor in it too! The bulkhead was slightly notched to clear the servo wire (mechanical speed control) The shocks are better than I thought... Now if I can get the SD card to load...

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

First set of photos.
Attachments
speed control.JPG
6016 Box contents.JPG
steering.JPG
Bulkhead.JPG
motor right rear.JPG
Bottom Front.JPG
6016 Address Label.JPG
gearbox cover right.JPG
bottom.JPG
6016 Box Label (21).JPG

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

2nd Set of photos
Attachments
front bottom long.JPG
right side.JPG
bottom rear straight.JPG
Bottom Rear.JPG
Left front shock arm.JPG
front left.JPG
rear left.JPG
top left.JPG
6016 Box Label.JPG

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

lol, nice coat hanger bumper guard ! rc10 looks like a great example, not too abused.

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I am not sure what direction I am going to take it. I think I am going to take it apart and clean it up.. I have a NIP front hardware rebuild kit... I will prob get a new nose piece. As the bulkhead was notched per step 170 in the book, I am just going to press it back in place and leave it be. I have a mint vintage airtronics servo I will prob put on for the steering. I will need to find the correct front body mount and correct the rear. I think I will leave the wheels off and pull the nerf bars. Should fit right back into the box. Will make a nice display piece. Now I need to get a hold of a NIP buggy body for the display. I guess I have to find another Novak T4.... I have a NIP set of Trinity Matched SCEs that have been waiting for a home.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I also like the "bumper car" bumper :lol: I think that someone might have had a control issue-

I expect to see that sig changed now :mrgreen:

DougH
Approved Member

Post by DougH »

That rear bumper/nerf bar is about the funniest modification I've seen to an RC car :)

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Charlie don't surf wrote: I expect to see that sig changed now :mrgreen:

Took care of it.. :) Thanks for the reminder!

fordtransman
Approved Member

Re: My First RC10. Early Cadillac.

Post by fordtransman »

I just went over the forum facts.. Its an early Cadilllac ... It has the A stamp, The front shock bottoms are not slotted... The box has the ORRCA text.

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

The "A" is stamped so hard, you can see the impression through the bottom! I have not pulled the motor to see the stamping on the topside.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

fordtransman wrote:The "A" is stamped so hard, you can see the impression through the bottom! I have not pulled the motor to see the stamping on the topside.
hehe, yea most of mine are like that :)

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I went back over the 25 years of RC10 Thread.. My shock tower bulkhead has the LONG wing tubes...and the publication date in my yellow manual is 1984, but the address on the back cover is Cadilliac. There is a "Telex number" of 756887. CA sales tax on the included sheet for ordering videos is 7% Is it fair to date this car between 1986 and 1987? This would make my "1st RC-10" the same age as my RC12L...

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

Well, its all apart... with just dish detergent and a plastic brush the white parts look almost new..almost no yellowing. (pic to follow tomorrow) The extra nerf guard holes in the sides are really well done...The nerf guards will go back on, as they are part of the history and charactor of this car. The nose piece took a hit right in the top of the "e" so it will have to be replaced. The extra holes in the bottom are consistant with the manuals directions about adding holes for the period-correct "large size" servos. I corrected the countersink and I will be putting back in the large steering servo it came with, and as such, I finally found a home for my NIP KO Propo NES 2S reciever that I bought from SHODOG several years ago... The "A" stamp is really clear on the top..and the motor doesnt have a scratch on it. The motor plate is MINT. I am going to go ahead and tank the white parts in the "whitening" procedure tomorrow, as it is in the mid/low 80s out here in Southern California right now. 8 hours in a glass jar should do the trick. Now I am on to the "original NIP wheels/tires" and front noseplate/sway bar search. After that, I have decided to have the chassis re-annodized, since so many of the parts have been restored..it would be a shame to replace the main part :) I wish I could save the nose..but the hit is too far in. In 2 weeks, I am going to search out my mom's garage. I saw my brothers original front nose about a year ago in my search for my YZ834b parts. I should have grabbed it then... Pics to follow soon.