Varicom Big Grizzly 6x6

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fraggmann

Varicom Big Grizzly 6x6

Post by fraggmann »

This truck is 6 wheel drive 6 wheel suspension and front wheel steering.
It was built in 1991. I named this truck " The Grizzly" . The frame was designed to
use parts from an R/C Monster truck produced by "Varicom" called the "Big Grizzly".
The Big Grizzly was one of the first R/C monster trucks on the market even before theTamiya R/C 1:10 truck Clod Buster.
Unfortunately the Big Grizzly was a dud. Parts broke easily. I spent a lot of time at the hobby store ordering parts to keep the truck going.
In the late 80s Varicom announced the discontinuation of this truck, so I purchased all the parts and full kits I could find.
Since the Big Grizzly was krap at crushing and racing I decided to build a 6X6. In an issue of R/C car action magazine from the 80s I saw a 6X6 called the Behemoth built using the Black Foot an old Tamiya R/C 1:10 truck.
The Grizzly when set up for pulling, pulled 137lbs for 30 feet. Full 1:10 scale pull.
At 138lbs all the main gears in both gear towers stripped and twisted the drive shafts off the gear towers. I had the shafts to replace but no spare gears. I destroyed those trying to pull.
Since I have decided to restore the Grizzly I need parts or whole trucks. Please e-mail me if you have and wish to sell .....[email protected]
Attachments
025.JPG
016.JPG
015.JPG

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Varicom Big Grizzly 6x6

Post by scr8p »

please take the time to look over the forum rules, #6 in this instance.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=154

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

fraggmann wrote:This truck is 6 wheel drive 6 wheel suspension and front wheel steering.
It was built in 1991. I named this truck " The Grizzly" . The frame was designed to
use parts from an R/C Monster truck produced by "Varicom" called the "Big Grizzly".
The Big Grizzly was one of the first R/C monster trucks on the market even before theTamiya R/C 1:10 truck Clod Buster.
You probably should've mentioned the Marui Big Bear, which predated the Big Grizzly by 2 or so years. It was first released in 1984. :wink:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I may have a few pieces but no gears. That's why I haven't run mine much!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Coelacanth wrote:
fraggmann wrote:This truck is 6 wheel drive 6 wheel suspension and front wheel steering.
You probably should've mentioned the Marui Big Bear, which predated the Big Grizzly by 2 or so years. It was first released in 1984. :wink:
I like how he worded his post like we've never heard of the trucks mentioned before. Maybe he forgot where he is?

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

Lowgear wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
I like how he worded his post like we've never heard of the trucks mentioned before. Maybe he forgot where he is?
I doubt he's forgotten where he is at. The guy doesent know yet how knoledgable people here are yet so how about giving him a break. Saying it that way is a good way to chase new members away....

fraggmann

Post by fraggmann »

That's OK ..No offense taken ..I guess I should explain.. I have just returned to the R/C hobby after a 20 year absence. Now that my family has grown up I have more time and money to extend towards the hobby. As far as mentioning the various trucks I was just trying to be precise and to the point. It would take more than a comment like his to scare me off.....

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The grizzly was a odd truck. It was one of the first I added to my collection and honestly was a huge disappointment. I wanted one in my younger years cause of the oddness of it all, but when I got it finally I was shocked at some if the design. The front suspension was crazy, why bother having an adjustable "upper" arm if you essentially have a swing arm. I always thought it was a parallel arm front end. The drive train is super simple but on mine (a late truck) they got rid of the one ways in the front so it's a solid axle front and ball diff rear. Not great for steering.

I still love her, but she was not what I thought she would be growing up. The clod buster was the nail in the coffin for the grizzly. Now I understand why!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

fraggmann

Post by fraggmann »

I still love her too but for different reasons. Im trying to keep my Grizzly alive and need parts to get them six wheels moving again.