Big Bear Resurrection

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Big Bear Resurrection

Post by Mwildmann »

So, with the RC10 Graphite done, I figured I'd try to get somewhere on the Big Bear that I scooped up with that giant pile of free gold. It really doesn't look like it's been run much at all. The electronics are a mess and I'm not sure what direction I'll be going with that, keep it stock with the MSC or possibly something else, don't know yet. Mechanically it rolls nice, haven't identified any silliness in the transmission or diff, all smooth. The body is freakin fantastic with only a tiny bit of rash here and there, never been painted or stickered. Front bumper is broken and wonky. The rear body mount posts are broken off but I think I'll be able to make a decent repair with what's left. The tires are still nice and pliable and soft but severely flat spotted and the wheels are darn near flawless too.

I'm thinking clean up and paint the body and use decals from MCI to as box art as my abilities will allow. New re-pop from bumper from Shapeways. Tire foams to get them fluffy again. Then put it on a shelf and stare at it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for tire foams? I've been looking at foams for a Tamiya Lunchbox and have found a couple possibilities but figured I'd ask here too.

Pics:
20230529_105811_Reduced.jpg
20230529_105742_Reduced.jpg
20230529_105726_Reduced.jpg
:D

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Re: Big Bear Resurrection

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Cool resto. Doing one too in future. Got everything but the time.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

TheDiamondOne wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm Cool resto. Doing one too in future. Got everything but the time.
Thanks! Nice, time is hard to find around here too. I can usually find a few minutes between the hours of 9 and 11 pm. Freakin kids...

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

Here's my plan for tire foams. What a PITA by the way. After measuring the Big Bear tires, they are 4.25" OD, just over 2.0" ID and about 3.125" wide which translates to about 108mm OD, 54mm ID and 80mm wide. I think what I'm going to do is buy 2 sets of these and use 2 of each in each tire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NVS42C9/?coliid=I33RUJHD2KQUSI&colid=337TKNW6KENS1&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'll probably glue them together with some CA glue and end up with foams 4.33" OD, 2.0" ID and 3.0" wide.

Anyone want to tell me I'm a moron and there's a better way? Happy to hear it, honestly.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Don't glue them together, it will make them stiff in the middle.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:35 am Don't glue them together, it will make them stiff in the middle.
Gotcha, I was thinking just a small bead where they meet in the middle on the ID only, not the entire interface between the foams. Will avoid it unless they don't want to play nice.

Thanks!

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:35 am Don't glue them together, it will make them stiff in the middle.
It all depends what you want to do... If it is for running, I would rather suggest some Tamiya Lunchbox tires and some printed rims (I published those I printed for my Big Bear on Printables few weeks ago).

And you may also find some parts to repair the rear body mounts (I see yours are shaved).
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

silvertriple wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:53 pm
It all depends what you want to do... If it is for running, I would rather suggest some Tamiya Lunchbox tires and some printed rims (I published those I printed for my Big Bear on Printables few weeks ago).

And you may also find some parts to repair the rear body mounts (I see yours are shaved).
My tires and rims are in good shape though. It might get run occasionally, not often, I'm gonna give those foams a shot. Will definitely check out your prints and see what's up for the body mounts though. Thank you!

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

So, I got the wheels and tires disassembled, washed, mold flash trimmed from the rims, tire foams installed and all put back together. No gluing necessary, they didn't put up much of a fight. Not a fan of 3-peice rims I will say. The foams do fit and got the flattened tires sorted out nicely. A tiny bit too big possibly but, hey, it's a Big Bear, not exactly known for it's handling.

If anyone is trying to do similar, I think foams that fit 1.9 crawler tires should fit a pair in each tire and that'll give lots of options. Maybe consider the star cut ones for a little more give in the tires.
20230603_185854_Reduced.jpg
20230603_201654_Reduced.jpg

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Awesome find. That was one of my favorite RC's back when I was a kid. I still remember taking the snowblower and clearing/making a "track" in the yard to run mine on back in the day. Had to be 30-35yrs or so ago but such fond memories of the Big Bear 8)

Looks like the foams fixed the flat spots issue very well :D

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

Steve71 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:52 am Awesome find. That was one of my favorite RC's back when I was a kid. I still remember taking the snowblower and clearing/making a "track" in the yard to run mine on back in the day. Had to be 30-35yrs or so ago but such fond memories of the Big Bear 8)

Looks like the foams fixed the flat spots issue very well :D
I'm 44 and didn't get into RC until the early 90's so I never knew much about the Big Bear. My first was a Blackfoot.

The foams did their job for sure. There's a few wavy spots in the tire sidewalls yet but I imagine they'll relax and flatten with time too. Next step will be to blow the whole thing up, clean it up and put it back together.

I may have to get one of these too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325648824972

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

silvertriple - For your 3D printed rear body mount repair parts, what are you using for the top metal part that the body clips slide into/through? Thanks!

I'm thinking I could repurpose some old brass ball studs I've got laying around after drilling a hole through them...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Mwildmann wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:00 pm
silvertriple - For your 3D printed rear body mount repair parts, what are you using for the top metal part that the body clips slide into/through? Thanks!

I'm thinking I could repurpose some old brass ball studs I've got laying around after drilling a hole through them...
I used original mounts. If you have them this is the way to go. And one of my friends made some aluminium parts for this as per the plan I provided him... Alternatively, you could use some Tamiya Frog body mounts, but this would require review the top hole sizing (I know I have some somewhere, but not sure where, so I can review the part).

In the case you want to get the body mounts done, here is the drawings (all the values are in mm, and the bottom part is 4 mm thread - and if you print the repair parts, you don't really care of the thread stepping).

Hope this helps.

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

silvertriple wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:30 pm I used original mounts. If you have them this is the way to go. And one of my friends made some aluminium parts for this as per the plan I provided him... Alternatively, you could use some Tamiya Frog body mounts, but this would require review the top hole sizing (I know I have some somewhere, but not sure where, so I can review the part).

In the case you want to get the body mounts done, here is the drawings (all the values are in mm, and the bottom part is 4 mm thread - and if you print the repair parts, you don't really care of the thread stepping).

Hope this helps.
That's awesome, thank you again. I do not have the originals unfortunately. Gonna compare your measurements with those ball studs that I have but if that fails I found some Frog body mounts on Ebay for like $8 shipped so that's not too painful. You're a champion!