RC10T2

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Overvolted
Approved Member

RC10T2

Post by Overvolted »

A coworker knowing I'm into rc gave me this T2. The receiver connected to my transmitter and it runs well. Can anyone give me some insight to this model such as is it stock, worked over? I know the motor is not stock and he gave me a Green Machine 2 and a Diamond 12 turn double 19.5 awg motor.

What would you all do with this, run it, shelf it. id like to run it and have a set of dirt tires and wheels also yellow, that he gave me as well.

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
20230611_094733.jpg
20230611_094642.jpg
20230611_094707.jpg

Frankentruck

Re: RC10T2

Post by Frankentruck »

Looks like maybe Lunsford titanium turnbuckles. The shocks and universal joint rear axles look like they could be the Team truck parts. Looks like you might need a battery retainer strap.

What sort of battery, speed control, and motor setup are you thinking? Any plans to disassemble and hydrate the nylon parts?

If would be a fun runner.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

I have the battery strap its just not in the picture. Was thinking of running as is. can the transmission handle 2s lipo? Brushless? If not I'd run it on Nimh and keep it brushed and possibly replace the esc with something more modern.

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

I didn't think of rehydrating. I did that on my pan car and its been great.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I think it would do fine with 2s and brushless.

If you run NiMh, the Novak ESC would do fine. It's spec'd for 6 to 10 cells of NiCd cells (lower mAh than NiMh). I wouldn't run the brushed motor for more that 5 to 7 min at a time or the brushed motor will get overheated.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

That is an excellent looking t2. It appears very well put together. Grab a new Nimh battery and run this. The t2 uses lots of gt parts and it is easier to get spares for than the regular t.

The transmission would absolutely handle a lipo , as would the esc The older brushed motors can have trouble with the long run times that lipos make. From my own experiences, If you want to go to lipo I recommend brush-less. I had this exact problem with a T2 I had.

For bashing in dirt you can get 2.2" traxxas tires on the cheap and a nimh battery of about 3000 mah will be about $25.

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll run it on Nimh for now. I have a lot of 3600mah and under batteries I run in some of my vintage models. Perhaps in the future ill go lipo and brushless, good to know it will handle it. I have a Talon that was given to me by another friend( I have great friends) that needs an esc as well as a Big Rock with a bad esc. We just had our street repaved, I think its time for a street session with the T2 and pan car!!

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

Just did a 7 minute run and this thing is fun to drive. One thing I noticed is when I let off the throttle it coasts for a second then applies the brakes enough to make it spin out. The motor and esc were hot to the touch, could this be why? is there an adjustment to the esc i can make?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

For running, I'd think about adding a wide front bumper to protect all the front end stuff. I make mine out of kydex, and a similar width to the wide RPM bumpers. Those RPM bumpers for T/T2/GT sometimes pop up for sale at ok prices too.

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

I have a few different bumpers I could try, great idea.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Sounds like your ESC is misadjusted or the radio needd CH2 reversed. I'd look at the manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/novak/controller.html#8

Could also be the radio CH2 neutral trim setting needing some adjustment.

Overvolted
Approved Member

Post by Overvolted »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:10 pm Sounds like your ESC is misadjusted or the radio needd CH2 reversed. I'd look at the manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/novak/controller.html#8

Could also be the radio CH2 neutral trim setting needing some adjustment.
Thank you for that. I will look into the settings this evening.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

That motor is a current Reedy Radon. They are available in 15, 17, and 19 turn. They are Chinese made and bear a strong resemblance to older Integy motors. Probably better than the $15-20 motors on Amazon and Ebay but not as good as the vintage stuff was.

The shocks, universals, and wheels do point to a Team Truck, which means that it should have 3/16" axles. That means that you can get cheap JConcepts wheels. I'd check before buying.

While that old Novak 610 is a good esc, I wouldn't keep it in a runner. A Hobbywing 1060 (~$20) or programmable 1080 (~$40) are better suited. And both have lipo cutoff.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Very nice T2. Depending on how much you want to run it, I'd consider planning on a brushless setup after that Radon motor comes to an end, especially if you'd like extended run times obviously. Even though I'd have a very hard time pulling out that Novak 610.
-Jerry-

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:05 pm For running, I'd think about adding a wide front bumper to protect all the front end stuff. I make mine out of kydex, and a similar width to the wide RPM bumpers. Those RPM bumpers for T/T2/GT sometimes pop up for sale at ok prices too.
The CRP bumpers are on ebay for a lot less than the vintage RPM parts.

The front end for the rc10t,t2 and gt were all very similar, most front end parts labeled rc10t or rc10gt will work on your t2.