Backyard Track Maintenance

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Backyard Track Maintenance

Post by LTO_Dave »

After letting the weeds take over since last year, I finally decided to clean up my backyard track and prep it for some bashing.

I spent about two hours yesterday with a weed eater and about two more hours today with a rake and wheelbarrow in 90+ degree heat and I'm just getting started. 8)

My plans are to buy some weed killer, another 100' roll of black pipe and maybe a load of dirt to build up some small jumps and a tabletop. And I need to buy a BL setup for my B44...or maybe I'll go brushed and do a what's new is old build. :mrgreen:

Trying out the panoramic function on my camera:

GoMachV

Re: Backyard Track Maintenance

Post by GoMachV »

You know what they say, if there's grass on the field- play ball.

Maybe that's not what that saying means.

Looks like fun!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Man that looks like a lot of work! That is seriously going to be a nice spot for you to race! I like it!

LOL at the what is new is old! :lol:
Jeff

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I would love to have a spot like that to run, then I realized how much work it would be and went back in the house...... well anyways good luck with yours. :lol: :lol:

I helped build our local track that is now taken over by the evil 1/8 scale fume makers, and rule #1 always build up dont dig down.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

When I stripped the grass back on mine last year I cut it extremely short with my mower and then doused it heavily with weed killer. Raking out all of the the roots was the absolute lot of back braking work though. I have made sure to keep up with the weed killer even when I know I might not be running on it for a while.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

when I built a track, I towed a length of chainlink fence behind a lawn tractor, with some weights on it, and just kept going around and around to tear up roots and stones. I used a bunch of old tires/rims as weight, since I had a bunch.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

On mine I use a tow behind de-thacher rake with chain link fence behind that. Makes quick work after the round-up has done its job.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Cool layout Dave :D I think I'd have some dirt dumped. It will have some cost attached of course, but will save some manual labor in the long run :wink:
-Kevin

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The last time I was at the home hardware outlet nearby, checking out landscaping supplies in the gardening/yard products section, I saw these large rolls of mesh that act as weed barriers for planters or around trees and such. The better one ("Platinum", though that has little to do with the precious metal, was the best) supposedly prevents weeds from re-growing for 10 years or something. Anyway, once you've killed the grass & weeds and removed the roots, you might look into something like that, then spread a bunch of dirt on top of it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Coelacanth wrote:The last time I was at the home hardware outlet nearby, checking out landscaping supplies in the gardening/yard products section, I saw these large rolls of mesh that act as weed barriers for planters or around trees and such. The better one ("Platinum", though that has little to do with the precious metal, was the best) supposedly prevents weeds from re-growing for 10 years or something. Anyway, once you've killed the grass & weeds and removed the roots, you might look into something like that, then spread a bunch of dirt on top of it.
The weed seeds will just blow in within a year and grow on top of the fabric. That fabric is made to have rock or some sort of non-fertile media on top of it.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

teman wrote:Cool layout Dave :D I think I'd have some dirt dumped. It will have some cost attached of course, but will save some manual labor in the long run :wink:
No need to bring dirt in, he's in PA! Dig down about 2 inches!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

CamplinP wrote:The weed seeds will just blow in within a year and grow on top of the fabric. That fabric is made to have rock or some sort of non-fertile media on top of it.
The same thing will happen with rock too, it will slow the weeds down from underneath, but you'll still get them from the top.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

If you are going get some dirt check out landscape centers. cubic yard s around $40 here at the landscape suppliers or $20 from the city reuse facility... Bring a truck :)