Period Correct ESC

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

torey3

Period Correct ESC

Post by torey3 »

Hi guys, new member here with a Late Edinger that I pulled out of 25 year storage. New battery and works mostly great. I am conisder upgrading the mechanical speed control with a period correct ESC with reverse. What performance gains can expect from this and what models would you recommend? I am running a modern non-lipo battery and a trinity monster horsepower engine.
Thanks

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Re: Period Correct ESC

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

If your gonna run it id go with a modern esc.THe vintage stuff hard to find and cost more than a newer esc.If was for a shelfer only i could see putting a T1x or T1 AND T4 IM NO EXPERT on vintage but should be around that time period i think.don

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

As far as vintage with reverse, which limits you to the more unreliable sort, you'd be looking for a futaba mc112b or better yet a mc111b. Those were hugely popular. For reverse there were also some Airtronics, KO, and JR but they would be harder to find and more expensive. Look for speed controls that are shaped like a servo, with ears to bolt them in. They will almost always be reversing and era correct
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

torey3

Post by torey3 »

I purchased a new entry level speed controller recommended from Hobby Town; however it did not work. The sales man said that it my vintage KO Pro servos and remote were to slow for it. I then purchased what was advertised and appeared a brand new futaba mc 112b speed controller, but could not get it to power up with my KO Pro controller. I don't know if the speed controller is bad or if it is not compatable with the wiring in the KO servo? Any suggestions?
Thanks

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Ko should use standard pin layout, as opposed to Airtronics. What are the color codes on the ko servo? I want to say they use a blue in there somewhere. On the futaba it should be white, red, black. The servo is channel one, the speed control channel two. Those futaba esc don't have a switch so when you plug in the battery it should make the servo jitter.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

gomachv wrote:Ko should use standard pin layout, as opposed to Airtronics. What are the color codes on the ko servo? I want to say they use a blue in there somewhere. On the futaba it should be white, red, black. The servo is channel one, the speed control channel two. Those futaba esc don't have a switch so when you plug in the battery it should make the servo jitter.
Actually.... the older KO stuff had a different pin-out to the regular stuff (Futaba et al). While Futaba would be sig - pos - neg (white - red - black), the KO stuff, like older Sanwa stuff, had a pin-out of sig - neg - pos (blue - black - red).

If your receiver is blue - black - red, all you'll need to do is swap the pins around in the lead coming from the Futaba ESC, and everything should power up fine.

Let us know if this makes sense (or not!).

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I thought I vaguely remembered early ko being different but I couldn't find pics to back it up. All the pics were more like jr/futaba

Just be careful- check colors twice before powering up. You'll never get the smoke back in the receiver
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

gomachv wrote:I thought I vaguely remembered early ko being different but I couldn't find pics to back it up. All the pics were more like jr/futaba

Just be careful- check colors twice before powering up. You'll never get the smoke back in the receiver
Just for you, mate....
Servo.JPG
Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Ever have one of those "DOH!" Moments? I could have probably just went to the shop and opened the box :roll: I totally forgot I had this ko

Factory Works website