Optima Mid Modern Race Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Re: Optima Mid Old is New (New Facelift)

Post by Seabass »

I finally was able to get the car back together after breaking it in Korea. I machined a new rear shock tower and have had thoughts about getting a new body for the car. I started looking around the house and found a spare B44 JConcepts body and figured I would see how the fit was. Surprisingly the body actually fits really nice with some creative trimming.

I sprayed the car in my race colors and I am super happy with how the car turned out. I really like the modern look on this buggy and I am sure many people would think it is a modern car under the shell.

I know most of you guys are purists and will gawk at this one, but I am super stoked. Off to the track tomorrow to put in a days worth of testing to get the car dialed in. Let's hope I can keep the car together this time.

Jake
Attachments
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3294.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If I didn't know it, I would never guess it was a mid! I'm not a cab forward guy but that looks pretty damn hot!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I think it looks pretty good. You would not believe how tight the chassis is on this thing. I don't see how anyone would have fit vintage electronics in this car. I took it out for a quick test drive since I removed the electronics while tearing the car down to get to the rear tower...yep still a stupid fast car.

I am really looking forward to putting this car on the track again.

Jake

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

It´s a darn shame to mount that body on it - thinking of all the cool mechanical engineering You´ve put in that chassis. Loose it or the Vintage MID Association will be forced to take action :mrgreen:

Sometimes pictures hurt more than words :shock:
Gone fishing

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Took the car to the track today and I am very happy with the how the car performed. Tracks was extremely bumpy but overall the car handled pretty good. I will need to do some more tuning to get the car to be happy in the bumpy sections of the track. I figured I could get one of my kids to get some video of the car during on of the runs but the video is a complete and utter failure :lol:

I had no one else who could do what I needed so no pics or videos.

The track is very new and still needs a lot of maintenance and work. I may need to get out there one weekend to see if I can help them in fixing the problem areas. Looking at the demographics, I doubt there will be a 1/10 4x4 buggy class but one can hope. Short bus of course is in high demand so at least I have my short bus trucks to race.

I really want to get this car on a track where I can race it.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

That is a great looking buggy! I can't wait to get your layshaft and get going on my build! Are the arms you made wider than the stock arms?

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

Maybe some big bore shocks for another modern update? 8)

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Man you are really trying to get the Vintage Mid Association on me.

I thought about the big bores but I am happy with the golds on the car. After some more shake down on the car, I may. I have a full set still in the package waiting for a car.

Mike the arms on this car are wider than stock. I had to run 73mm shafts on the front with Lazer ZX5 outer hubs, sterring components. I machined the arms to the proper length so I could run the newest Kyosho 4x4 wheels.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I like it, but hate the body. I guess that should come as no surprise, I'm probably in the majority (for once) on this site. :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

What a great rebuild!! Completely awesome. I like the 1st body more than 2nd it just looks faster.
It is awesome to see it updated and modernized as you did. Hope she dials in real nice.
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

What gear cover is that you're using?

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

The gear cover is an RPM B4 cover. The bottom hole lined up, just had to drill and tap the top hole. Works great and fits the car nicely.

I had everything ready to go to the track again today and had a person set up to film the car running laps, but got rained out. Maybe I can get out there this week.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Recently The car has been sitting on the shelf waiting a few additional improvements. I lost focus on the car simply because no one else had 1/10 4wd cars. In the last week two 22-4's showed up and are going to be regulars so this car will be coming back to the top of the priority to get running again.

I decided to scrap the Kyosho Golds even though they are super smooth and transition to AE Big Bores (thanks to a previous comment). This is going to require new shock towers and modification to the arms. I need to change the arms slightly to work with the arms which should be now trouble.

Starting the new shock tower drawings now and hope to have the new towers machined in the next couple days.

For now, check out the new chassis the car is sporting...

Jake
Attachments
IMG_3311.jpg

mikea96

Re: Optima Mid Modern Race Build

Post by mikea96 »

Looks awesome Jake! I need to post some updates on mine

alcyon
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Old is New (The car runs)

Post by alcyon »

Seabass wrote:Long time since I updated this one. I was able to get the steering under control but it is still not quite to my liking yet. I have a strange feeling the bellcranks I used are the culprit. I do have a set of the A&L bellcranks that I will use in the car. Looking at the design of the current bell cranks vs the A&L, I have a feeling my steering problems will go away. I was able to get some more laps in with the car but the wing mounting setup was complete garbage. I removed the wing from the car but it changed the way the car felt so drastically, I decided to pull it and have not driven it since. It has since been removed and I made a new carbon fiber wing mount in similar fashion to the OEM mount.

Right now the car is in a large crate headed for Korea with the rest of my parts so I can't do anything else until we are reunited. I plan to hit the Korean tracks and I should be able to get the car dialed in and the bugs worked out of it.

I will be sure to get an update on this one and hopefully I can get some action pics as well.
There were some people on oople who thought i was blowing hot air about reliability issues on the a & l bellcranks. But here is the lowdown from me.
1. There is no recomended setting for bumpsteer adjustment. That means you have to assemble the bellcranks, and if the bumpsteer aint right, you need to do a lot of tuning yourself including dissasembly and reassembly. Those yellow nuts they use are very difficult to tighten.
2. I had my white 4-40 nuts strip on me, and also the 4-40 screws bent in a collision. The bearings are also not smooth and seem to be clamped too tightly causing binding. I even managed to break one bearing.
3. Because i had to change the 4-40 screws to a stronger m3, i had to struggle to get the yelow nuts into the m3 screws. I finally threw in the towel and bought kyosho gp10 blue bellcranks with lazer zx posts. I used the a & l graphite steering bar though and my steering is strong, even and smooth now.