Widows 8.1 won't update

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Widows 8.1 won't update

Post by Kyoshojoe »

So after getting a virus from the RcTech by accidentally clicking on a fake java update thinking it was legit, I reloaded my OS and then upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1. To make a long story short after the upgrade my computer was not able to connect to updates, after waiting forever my comp showed me an error and after researching it I found that this was a very common problem with 8.1 users, in fact there are over 300 posts on the Microsoft help sight of peeps with the same problem. The only fix is to run a powershell module and force the comp to manually download updates. This is no small feat and requires a substantial knowledge of computers which I don't have. Microsoft is offering no fix and is basically ignoring it. My only real solution was to reload 8 and stay away from 8.1.

I wanted to post this and possibly help others avoid the headache I went through. Please be careful when upgrading to 8.1 and research it first.

GoMachV

Re: Widows 8.1 won't update

Post by GoMachV »

Every time I turn on my computer there are between one and 55 new updates. I'm confident they will fix it eventually, and then fix it again. And probably a patch to that fix

Long live Microshaft :roll:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

I switched to Linux for the first time when I built my new PC this year and I'm really enjoying the hassle free web browsing. If/when I get back into gaming I'm sure I'll build a Windows based system again but even then I'll be keeping the Linux system for 90% of my internets. <3

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I can tell you one thing, if I wasn't in the Windows computer repair field I sure as hell wouldn't be using it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've found that the large majority of Windows updates that fail are due to a wonky .NET Framework install. Most computers that had issues with failed updates--updates that repeatedly reinstall and then fail out with some generic error message, necessitating a reboot and roll-back to the previous, un-updated state--I've fixed by uninstalling .NET Frameworks from most recent to oldest until I get the updates working again, then reinstalling only the necessary .NET versions that were removed. Windows 7 has had tons of issues with .NET Framework v3.5.1, which isn't even supposed to be compatible for Windows 7; which started at v4.0+. But older applications might've installed that older version of .NET, and the updates for it repeatedly crap out.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Phin wrote:I switched to Linux for the first time when I built my new PC this year and I'm really enjoying the hassle free web browsing. If/when I get back into gaming I'm sure I'll build a Windows based system again but even then I'll be keeping the Linux system for 90% of my internets. <3
You made a good choice with Linux. What distribution are you using?

As for Windows 8.x I am ready to toss it out the window and install windows 7. My wife needs Windows for a couple applications(games mostly) which do not run on Linux.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

soniccj5 wrote:
Phin wrote:I switched to Linux for the first time when I built my new PC this year and I'm really enjoying the hassle free web browsing. If/when I get back into gaming I'm sure I'll build a Windows based system again but even then I'll be keeping the Linux system for 90% of my internets. <3

As for Windows 8.x I am ready to toss it out the window and install windows 7. My wife needs Windows for a couple applications(games mostly) which do not run on Linux.
Microsoft craps the bed almost every third major OS revision, almost like clockwork. Win 95 & 98 were great, then they crapped the bed with Windows ME. Win 2000 and XP were great, then they crapped the bed with Vista. Win 7 was great, then they crapped the bed with 8. 8.1 was a half-assed attempt to address the hate-on people had with 8, and it's hopeless functionality for anybody who uses a keyboard & mouse--which is much of the corporate world.

That said, their upcoming Windows to supplant the bed-crap-8.x is much-anticipated and should be great. I have no idea why Microsoft didn't just develop 2 different operating systems; one that extended on 7 for desktops and laptops, and one that was designed for tablets and touch-screen-capable netbooks.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

I'm not sure if this is your specific issue but its worth a try:

Download this: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/How-to-fix-error-80073712-d7c2ace1

Extract to a folder. Right click on the .ps1 file and select "run with powershell". Job done.

Personally Windows 7 has been solid as a rock for me, so never bothered to upgrade to 8.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I set up a dual boot on my laptop. Windows 7 and Linux mint. Love the Linux. Its like my computer is a completely different machine.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

soniccj5 wrote:
I went with Xubuntu since at the time Mint wasn't as up to date yet.
RichieRich wrote:I set up a dual boot on my laptop. Windows 7 and Linux mint. Love the Linux. Its like my computer is a completely different machine.
One of my favorite parts of the Linux switch is the boot up times compared to Windows. Since there aren't a couple of dozen background tasks, passing who knows what info to who knows who, my computer is ready to go from power on in almost no time. I had plans to buy a small SSD just for the OS but don't even really feel I need it anymore.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Startup crap isn't really Windows' fault. Manage those Systray apps, Registry RUN keys, auto-update checkers, Start > Programs > Startup shortcuts, and uninstall all the crapware & trialware that all brand-name computers come pre-loaded with, get your number of running processes down to well under 60, and any Windows computer should boot to an idle desktop in under a minute. My work PC images run about 54 processes. My personal Windows 7 computer boots up with only about 33 running processes. It boots up with a regular SATA drive in about 40 - 45 seconds.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Long live Macbook. :D
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com