Turbo Ultima rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Turbo Ultima rebuild

Post by XLR8 »

Back in the late ‘80’s, our local RC track established two classes for off-road 2wd stock – “RC10” and “540” which was open to everything else. I’d been competing with an RC10 (in both stock and modified) and getting my butt kicked so I wanted to find something to run in 540 as a way to gain more track time and hopefully improve my driving skills. Eventually I picked up an Ultima not long after Kyosho had introduced the car. I’d raced the Ultima for one or two seasons box-stock and it performed really well compared to the other Scorpions, Grasshoppers, Frogs, etc. that ran in the 540 class – then I sold it.
Since Kyosho has announced the re-release of the Ultima it has rekindled my interest in the car. I’ve really wanted to find another Ultima to use as a runner so I found this one on flea-bay a couple weeks ago.
P1010396.JPG
P1010402.JPG
P1010404.JPG
P1010407.JPG
The shocks are leaking and the radio tray has been butchered around the MSC servo mount but I can address that if it proves to be a problem – I’ll be running an ESC.

P1010413.JPG
Gears look good.

P1010423.JPG
P1010415.JPG
P1010426.JPG
A little road rash but I guess it’s not too bad.
P1010429.JPG
So, the immediate plan is to clean it up and see what I’ve got. This is the first time in 30 years that I’ve actually held one of these cars in my hands.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Turbo Ultima rebuild

Post by XLR8 »

The included body, while shiny and relatively scratch free on the outside, it’s very poorly trimmed and cracked and has this odd cutout on the left side – maybe a PO felt that it allowed removal of the battery while the body was fitted easier. Anyway, I’ll strip the paint and try to salvage it. I’ve gone ahead and ordered a new body and wing from Penguin along with a couple decal sets from MCI. I’m planning to do boring box art again since it’s one color and easy to produce. I have no talent or skill for doing anything more complex.
P1010433.JPG
P1010439.JPG
P1010437.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The sale included two ball dif kits and a set of arms NIB.
P1010399.JPG
One of the kits has been opened but otherwise appears to be intact.
P1010444.JPG
On to the cleanup stage….
Doug

SteveMax
Approved Member

Post by SteveMax »

Doesn't look like it was used too much. Clean everything up and it will come out very nice.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Yeah, I agree -- it appears to be a low-mileage car. The grease in the tranny was still clean and translucent and all hinge pins, ball joints and bearings are still tight.
So I have everything cleaned and ready to reassemble -- beginning with the tranny and rear bulkhead assembly.
P1160447.JPG
P1160452.JPG
A little “K” grease from one of the re-release builds.
P1160455.JPG
P1160458.JPG
P1160461.JPG
P1160463.JPG
Ready to mount on the chassis plate.
I also have the body stripped. I’ve used a citrus based cleaner to remove the paint.
P1010546.JPG
P1010547.JPG
I think the previous owner used a lacquer-based paint and this caused the lexan to become clouded and checked in the areas where the paint pooled (at the base of the side windows and the roof). The remaining surfaces look okay.
P1010555.JPG
I probably should have skipped the stripping process and just painted the body on the outside. Anyway, I guess we’ll see how well it accepts the new paint and go from there.
Doug

SteveMax
Approved Member

Post by SteveMax »

That stripped body looks really good IMO. If you decide to go with the same (or close) color, it will come out excellent - of course the downside is if you didn't like the blue. If you decide on a different color, it won't look that great. I've gotten used to re-painting them the same color.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

SteveMax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:26 pm That stripped body looks really good IMO. If you decide to go with the same (or close) color, it will come out excellent - of course the downside is if you didn't like the blue. If you decide on a different color, it won't look that great. I've gotten used to re-painting them the same color.
You are correct. I'm going with box art so it's now painted white and frankly it really doesn't look very good. I'll upload some pics tomorrow.
If I ever do another color change, I won't waste time stripping the paint, I'll just paint it on the outside. I've done that with a Mid body and it turned out okay. Live and learn.
P1010170.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I've had some time over the weekend to finish assembling the rear suspension.
P1010469.JPG
P1010470.JPG
P1010472.JPG
P1010474.JPG
P1010480.JPG
P1010482.JPG
Here’s the body with paint. My biggest regret was not spending a few more minutes with some thinner to remove the last bits of blue paint. I’m hoping the decals will cover most of it.
P1010556.JPG
P1010558.JPG
P1010561.JPG
P1010563.JPG
I’ve added a few layers of heavy packing tape to reinforce areas that were cracked.
Doug

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice work so far. A great way to strengthen a body is to apply drywall mesh tape to the inside with Shoe Goo. I read about that tip on RCTech.net and strengthened the whole bottom front and rear of my CYANide 'Cuda body that way, after painting it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SteveMax
Approved Member

Post by SteveMax »

It's coming along nicely. 8)

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks! The crappy photos hide most of the flaws.
That’s a great tip about using drywall tape and Shoe Goo and I was planning to use it here but my tube of Shoe Goo had dried out and I wasn’t up for a trip into town to buy a new tube so I’ve used the packing tape instead.
By the way, that same mesh tape can be used to make some convincing scale window net as well – after it’s been painted.
window net.jpg
Doug

mtbkym01

Post by mtbkym01 »

Enjoying your work here
You name it - and I want it ;)
If it's Old Skool, It's Kool

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I'll second the drywall mesh tape and shoe goo. If your paint is well adhered, the mesh/shoe goo composite is almost bullet proof. Thanks, too, for posting update photos. Because of one of your photos, I just discovered that I have a Kyosho trans brace and spacers in my stash, that I've been wondering about for months. :oops: Body looks good to me, too! 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Looks really great, don't sweat the minor imperfections, historically the cars were only perfect the second before the 1st race. After that the battle wounds began and add character. That's what I tell my wife about my own personal chassis too :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 pm Thanks! The crappy photos hide most of the flaws.
That’s a great tip about using drywall tape and Shoe Goo and I was planning to use it here but my tube of Shoe Goo had dried out and I wasn’t up for a trip into town to buy a new tube so I’ve used the packing tape instead.
By the way, that same mesh tape can be used to make some convincing scale window net as well – after it’s been painted.
window net.jpg
That's a great tip too. Thanks, I may use that one someday!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3