Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Lowgear »

The company we've been using to gather donations offers the service for free for organizations who receive under a thousand dollars a month. If you go over, they take a cut of every donation received. Since we only take in around a hundred a month, it's been free for us. Well... Not any more. :x I received an email from them stating they're doing away with the free tier, and starting July 1st they'll be taking a cut of every donation no matter what. They used convoluted business talk for the reason but it's obviously due to the pandemic. Since so many are out of work, people aren't being as charitable. As such, the less people donate, the less money the donation company makes. So now they're going to have to start milking money out of ALL users to compensate. PayPal already takes a cut for every donation we receive, so we can't afford to have two entities now doing it.

The good news is there's a native donation system modification for phpBB. Some of you may remember that's what we initially used for a short time. Well we're going back to it starting tomorrow. Luckily it's been updated to work with our current board version. The bad news is we're at the mercy of an independent developer doing it for fun opposed to an actual company. That's the reason we switched away from it to begin with after several unresolved issues.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 am The company we've been using to gather donations offers the service for free for organizations who receive under a thousand dollars a month. If you go over, they take a cut of every donation received. Since we only take in around a hundred a month, it's been free for us. Well... Not any more. :x I received an email from them stating they're doing away with the free tier, and starting July 1st they'll be taking a cut of every donation no matter what. They used convoluted business talk for the reason but it's obviously due to the pandemic. Since so many are out of work, people aren't being as charitable. As such, the less people donate, the less money the donation company makes. So now they're going to have to start milking money out of ALL users to compensate. PayPal already takes a cut for every donation we receive, so we can't afford to have two entities now doing it.

The good news is there's a native donation system modification for phpBB. Some of you may remember that's what we initially used for a short time. Well we're going back to it starting tomorrow. Luckily it's been updated to work with our current board version. The bad news is we're at the mercy of an independent developer doing it for fun opposed to an actual company. That's the reason we switched away from it to begin with after several unresolved issues.
Good to know bud whatever it takes to keep it going....
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Alright, I installed and setup the new donation system. I tested it as far as I could on my end. Hopefully it works all the way through for you guys. It's accessible either by following the 'Donations' link at the top of the board or by the 'DONATIONS' link at the bottom of the board on the index page.

Direct link: rc10talk.com/donate

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Looks like I have some more kinks to get out as two of the features didn't automatically work as they should have. A big thanks to those who have donated so far during this test phase!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Today I registered ultrarc.net and rc10talk.net to compliment our existing .com variants. They both redirect you to here. It's always a good idea to register the other top-level domain name extensions of your main one when available.

A few of you may remember that way back in 2002 I had an R/C monster truck forum called Monster Madness for several years which used the monstermadness.net domain name. I had to go with .net at the time since the .com equivalent was already taken. Anyway, that was available as well so I registered it today too, and it redirects you to ClodTalk.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

This is a quick but important note to say I’m currently without home Internet or power! :x A good portion of the northeast is. It’s been out for 2 days now, and might be for a few more. The power company hasn’t even started fixing anything yet. During this time I won’t be able to respond to any emails. Updating donors will also be delayed.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

It’s going on 6 days now and still no power! :x This definitely goes on the list of thee worst experiences of my life. I can easily write a book About it all but this is not the place for it, and I’m posting from a pre-paid phone so I have to keep it short. Power is set to be restored by this Monday night at the latest. I’ll believe whenever it comes on when I see it.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

And after nearly 7 days, the power has finally been restored so I'm back! All it took was the town getting Fox news to show up in which our mayor then lambasted the power company on TV to actually get things fixed. :lol:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

There are a couple members reporting they can’t log in- in fact they have a white screen with an error. Is there anything on the back end that was changed or updated that could be causing this? Any thoughts?
Attachments
2958FB25-A393-4619-A091-F221B3C54798.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I've noticed that I can't gain access to the site while using a VPN. But only recently. Last couple of days. Same message/screen, etc. I wonder if they are using a VPN setup also? I turn it off and everything loads fine.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

There was a DNS issue caused by the domain name being disabled by the registrar that then caused a problem with the SSL certificate. It seems to be working fine now?

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

Working good for me now. yesterday and early this morning had a very slow load time and time outs. But all good now!
-Brad

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

It was fixed early in the morning but then took several hours afterward for the changes to take effect due to having to propagate throughout cyberspace.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

As some of you may be aware due to me bringing it up several times, the forums software is long past due to be updated. I haven't been keeping up with installing the latest updates when I should have been. The reason is twofold. It's a very daunting and time-consuming process where everything can be lost with the slightest misstep due to how extensively modified the forum here is. The second reason is the forum is finally at a place where everything is perfect, and running like clockwork. After performing the update, a lot of it will need to be done over again. It will take time to get it back to that level so I've been delaying it.

Anyway, I'm finally being forced to update the forums software to the latest version. I recently received an email from our hosting provider that they will be performing a major OS upgrade on our server. The forum has to be running the latest version for the best chance of it being fully compatible. Even then, I don't know what's going to happen. :?

There are several dates when the work is scheduled to be performed. They are as follows:

-April 28th is when a backup of the forum will take place.

-May 1st is when the forum update will take place.

-May 5th is when the servers OS update will take place.

The forum will be down for indefinite lengths of time on and potentially around these dates.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

If there is anything that we can do to help out, let us know!!