Pop pop pop...

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Pop pop pop...

Post by Frankentruck »

So I'm checking out an ESC that I got a few weeks back and I hear this popping sound from the Magnum Sport sitting on the table. It sounds like it's got a jumping bean in the handle. I pull out the battery holder and it looks like a smear of paint by one battery, and that battery is making the popping sound. Wow, I've never witnessed an alkaline battery in the process of leaking. This one sounds alive. Anyone else heard this before? The end is still bubbling in this photo.
Attachments
PXL_20210923_221109865~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Pop pop pop...

Post by shodog »

Surprised it was an energizer that did that. Usually it’s the Duracell batteries that go bad and leak

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

shodog wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 pm Surprised it was an energizer that did that. Usually it’s the Duracell batteries that go bad and leak
This.

I don't put Duraleaks in anything I care about. I've had pretty good luck with the Rayovacs.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Amen - Duracell are terrible for leaking

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

And here I am going to say its because you're not using Duracell. I usually only buy Duracell and have yet to witness a single battery leak, ever. But in my household we go thru a boatload of batteries every year, so they're shelf life is very short. That said, I do get Energizer on occasion as well, and don't remember any ever leaking. I'm a fan and have had great luck with both brands. Now Rayovac, ACDelco and other cheap batteries, I've completely gave up on... because they're a complete waste of money due to lasting a faction as long as Energizer or Duracell.

Now I'm only speaking from my experience, as far as the rest of ya'll, well I guess my luck is just better than yours :lol: ..... just kidding
-Jerry-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

This topic reminded me of this Project Farm video:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

We only have rechargeable AA cells, we got to a point of needing so many that it made far more sense than throw away cells, even as a kid in the 80's my RC TX and Rx had rechargeable batteries, my dad was an economist by trade, I guess some of that rubbed off on me too.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My main radio has recently gotten rechargeable batteries in it. I'm still working on a charging setup to connect to the Jack in the radio. A couple of other radios shared this set of alkaline batteries since they all take the same holder. This is the first time I've witnessed an active battery leak and never heard sound from one before. The blueish goo was not a color I've seen before from a leak. I thought it was pretty interesting.

After something is exposed to an acid leak, my standard cleanup uses water with baking soda and then add a little dielectric grease on the contactor to prevent future corrosion.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Dadio wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:23 am my dad was an economist by trade, I guess some of that rubbed off on me too.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. 8)

I've had energizer, duracell, rayovac, re-chargeable of all denominations leak. They all leak given time and when I use crap til the last possible moment it falls apart I put it back together and work it some more so batteries have been fun. Haven't been around any currently leaking batteries but been around several blown up but that's for another thread.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!