RC10T2 Basher

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Re: RC10T2 Basher

Post by Frankentruck »

That looks like an awesome runner!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm That looks like an awesome runner!
I took it for a quick little run this morning to shake out the issues and it feels good to drive even in this state. It's been a while since it was running but the steering improvement is noticeable. Though this went from an inexpensive little truck to an expensive little truck in 3 parts . I'd like to think I got better building, but I just spent more money :D

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Just a few changes.
4EFACC13-C0DB-4507-8F75-19FD1F4891FE.jpeg
I swapped in b5 wing mounts in place of the stock mounts and replaced the stock mount with a puretech strap.

The b5 mounts are a tad to long and I will trim them down about 1/16-1/8” at some point.

It looks awesome but the original strap from the t2 doesn’t fit hardback lipo’s.

I also removed the gt style receiver mount.

I’m not excited about the wires and layout. It’s not easy to get the battery in and out and it looks messy.

It needs some suspension adjustments. The front end keeps lifting off the ground when I hit the throttle. I’ll put some limiters in the front shocks.

It’s fast. That Novak motor provides quite a lot of motivation. It stayed cool to the touch after 15 minutes running in the grass. Even in California summer heat I could gear this higher.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

So I chewed through 2 spur gears today. The first one happened with no changes. I hit the gas and it just peeled the top teeth off the gear. I meshed it tighter and the pinion tore the rest off. The second spur wasn't meshed right and the same happened. The 3rd one seemed to have taken and runs just fine. Are there metal spur gears ?

I changed out the front shocks to 12mm shocks with much softer springs. It handles much better on bumps now.

I have been turning up the power on each run and at 75% it drives like it is tearing apart. I had to take apart the front end and tighten it up. The rear guard screws are coming out.

It keeps popping wheelies. What is the best way to keep the front wheels planted? I loosened the slipper and the tires aren't glued. Is it just weight at the nose?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

How wide are the teeth on your spurs and how wide are the teeth on your pinions? Are you running with a gear cover or open to sand, dust, etc?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

With brushless, I'd switch to 32 pitch gears.

Are you setting mesh correctly? I use the paper method.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You need to loosen the slipper. There should be no reason you are stripping gears if the slipper is set correctly unless the motor keeps loosening up.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:51 pm How wide are the teeth on your spurs and how wide are the teeth on your pinions? Are you running with a gear cover or open to sand, dust, etc?
I have been using all robinson racing spurs. The pinion is about 1.5x as wide as the spur. I am using a gear cover.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:24 pm With brushless, I'd switch to 32 pitch gears.

Are you setting mesh correctly? I use the paper method.
I think the mesh is correct. It seemed to be fine until I added more power to my runs.

I wasn't sure the 32 pitch would be required, since the truck it pretty light. Would that send me into a situation where I now start stripping gears inside the transmission?

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

jwscab wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:39 am You need to loosen the slipper. There should be no reason you are stripping gears if the slipper is set correctly unless the motor keeps loosening up.
The motor seems to be staying in place, I'll let the slipper out.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:43 pm I wasn't sure the 32 pitch would be required, since the truck it pretty light. Would that send me into a situation where I now start stripping gears inside the transmission?
I think that the internal gears are stronger because they are supported on both sides, while the pinion and spur are hanging from the end of a shaft (particularly the spur). As I see it, the pinion and spur will have more deflection. So the larger 32 pitch gears will maintain better engagement under deflection.

That's my take.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I don't wanna be debbie downer here, but its possibly a too much 550 brushless torque issue your spurs are experiencing. Just throwing it out there. If you have a less punishing 540 brushless laying about, try it out just to see differences. The 32p idea should help, but might carry the punishment to the trans.
-Jerry-

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

R6cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:46 pm I don't wanna be debbie downer here, but its possibly a too much 550 brushless torque issue your spurs are experiencing. Just throwing it out there. If you have a less punishing 540 brushless laying about, try it out just to see differences. The 32p idea should help, but might carry the punishment to the trans.
You are probably correct, but I am going to try making this work anyway.
Going to 32 pitch won't be a ton of money to try out. I can work with the esc punch setting and slipper.
The T2 is the same gear set up as a GT making me believe that I'm in a reasonable place powerwise. I already have an aluminum diff gear installed.

If all else fails I'll just have to set an end point adjustment. When I'm not feeding it spur gears this fixes the overheating issues I was having.
Even on a hot southern California day the motor stays cool to the touch after a full pack on the grass.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Ugh grass is also super tough on parts, lots of drag.

If you can't get it to survive consistently, then yes you are probably trying to push too much torque through a high load surface(grass) so something would need to be adjusted. Run on different surface or keep cranking the power down.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Yikes I don’t even like running high voltage 1/8 monster trucks on grass…. You can almost feel the drag being imposed on it.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)