Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Lowgear »

Well that's some wishful thinking. :lol:

Seriously though, on that account it's now gone. as posted, I didn't really like it but figured I'd keep it up for a bit to easily present the other skin options to members. It's been long enough. :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:00 am Alright, after working on the board for over 7 hours straight, everything has been updated. I still have a bunch to do but it's currently 8:00am, and I'm off to bed. I'll work on it some more later this evening.

It's funny how after all that work, it looks like I did nothing at all...
My favourite updates and upgrades look like nothing has changed "we fear change"
Thank you, sincerely.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I just received an email from our hosting provider that the operating system of our server needs to be updated. It's something they handle on their end, and it's slated for Monday the 21st. They didn't specify when exactly as it's whenever we're next in line. So, this is just a heads-up that it will be taking place, and the site will be down as a result. They claim it should take less than an hour, but I remember something got messed up the last time they did it, and it was down for an extended period.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Today is almost over here, and I nearly forgot it was the day our servers operating system was scheduled to be updated. I checked my email, and it's indeed been completed which means it went off without a hitch. I'm really glad for that since last time there were problems.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Lowgear wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:48 pm Today is almost over here, and I nearly forgot it was the day our servers operating system was scheduled to be updated. I checked my email, and it's indeed been completed which means it went off without a hitch. I'm really glad for that since last time there were problems.
The site was down for a while this morning. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That's likely when the update was taking place as the completion email was sent early in the afternoon. :idea:

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

coxbros1 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:16 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:27 pm
TheDiamondOne wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:03 pm
GoMachV wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:48 am I still don’t even understand how it can happen. Wouldn’t it take days to go through each post you ever made and replace it with “…”?
No not days, WEEKS!!! Next to impossible.
Considering that I use my phone and tablet, it would take a while. But someone using a desktop and Windows command codes could do it much, much faster.
TheDiamondOne wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:45 am
Lowgear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:38 am Precisely
I just wish someone would tell us what would possess someone to find and delete 6000 plus posts. Did tamiyadan get robbed on a BOTM? Someone on here has to know.
Never underestimate what some people will do when they get butthurt. I've worked around several of that type (whiney bitches!). They are the precursors of the Millennials of today.
But people "Thumbs" has done research on his posts just shy of him pulling out, there were no signs and anyone fxxking with him... plus no one knows what happened to "Charlie Don't Surf" either.
Sorry if I am digging up old stuff but I noticed I couldn’t find some old info I was looking for. Noticed Tamiyadan’s “.” posts and realized it was his stuff I was looking for.

He used a script or a service. He didn’t burn all his stuff here, he burnt everything, including posts on RCtech, TamiyaClub and a website where he had posted stuff. And stuff got burnt from Internet Wayback.

It was thorough, it was extensive and it was a hard burn. And it makes me sad. I left Facebook years ago and they just locked off my stuff, no loss there, the only thing was my old Navy buddies have to contact me directly.

Tamiyadan deleted tons of useful information, although YMMV. And it’s a vindication of the people who’ve noticed that we’ve moved to data mediums that are non-portable and easy to lose permanently. Let’s move the site to stone tablets and cave drawings, they last forever.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

knixdad wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:39 pm Sorry if I am digging up old stuff but I noticed I couldn’t find some old info I was looking for. Noticed Tamiyadan’s “.” posts and realized it was his stuff I was looking for.

He used a script or a service. He didn’t burn all his stuff here, he burnt everything, including posts on RCtech, TamiyaClub and a website where he had posted stuff. And stuff got burnt from Internet Wayback.

It was thorough, it was extensive and it was a hard burn. And it makes me sad. I left Facebook years ago and they just locked off my stuff, no loss there, the only thing was my old Navy buddies have to contact me directly.

Tamiyadan deleted tons of useful information, although YMMV. And it’s a vindication of the people who’ve noticed that we’ve moved to data mediums that are non-portable and easy to lose permanently. Let’s move the site to stone tablets and cave drawings, they last forever.
On Tamiyabase, they changes the edit mechanism of the forum post so they can't be edited anymore after few days... I think it was done because of some specific cases like this...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Has something changed that is causing the site to run slow? It's been happening for a couple days.

It doesn't happen on other sites. Doesn't matter what device that I use. Doesn't matter if wifi or mobile data.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Same here

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Same here too. I’ve also seen “board temporarily unavailable” a bunch of times.
Whilst posting this :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. I noticed it started acting funny a few days ago myself. I saw that one of the hard drive partitions is nearly full so I contacted support, and they told me not to worry about it. ....OK.... :|

Then last night I spent a half an hour optimizing the database as I've read that can cause it, and it hadn't been done in at least a year. That improved things but didn't totally fix it.

The server monitor script I have installed states that the server is currently running at max capacity which of course it shouldn't be. We could very well be experiencing a DDoS attack of some kind.

I'll contact support again to see what they have to say.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Seems to be working fine now, if something has been changed it worked.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I received a reply from support that said upon looking into it they didn't find anything wrong. It's an intermittent problem, and of course by the time they checked it out it was no longer happening. :roll: The only thing I can do is keep contacting them when it happens.

I was also thinking of re-implementing Cloudflare as the problem might be due to some kind of bad traffic. We've tried using Cloudflare in the past but it caused all the attachments to stop working. For those of you who don't know what Cloudflare is, it's basically a filter that all traffic has to pass through before reaching a site. It attempts to weed out the garbage that can cause problems like we're experiencing if the cause is in fact traffic related.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

It still plays up for me more times than not.

Screenshot_20230904-180939_Samsung Internet.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !