Super Clod build with a few mods

Welcome to the new home of ClodTalk!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Forum rules
Keep it all things Clod!
Frankentruck

Super Clod build with a few mods

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm getting ready to start my Super Clodbuster build.
1000009483.jpg
There will be a few upgrades done. It will be 4ws with axle mounted servos, 8 shock with better shocks, either reinforced or replaced axle tube housings, and bearings added. One mod I can't decide on is whether to do the CPE aluminum chassis brace for standard wheelbase or for a +2 inch extended wheelbase. I'm planning to use the stock ladder bars with either (I think that will work). Any thoughts on wheelbase? I will be using the stock silver can motors and 2s battery.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Re: Super Clod build with a few mods

Post by Elkcycles »

A little extra wheelbase goes a long way in helping the Clod's performance, especially with 4 wheel steering. If you are building a retro themed monster, keep it short.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I have some advice for 4 wheel steering. I left the advice for Kavin Talbot on YouTube, not sure if he will ever read it.

He has a pair of huge RC monster trucks. He added 4 wheel steer to one and at speed it becomes completely uncontrollable. The rear wheels shake around.

This is because his rear wheels have (not just zero, but) negative caster.

“Return to center” is a desired effect that front wheels do because of the angle of caster in the front axle. Like a shopping cart wheel, the tire trails the mounting point. Caster makes the front wheels stay straight while moving at speed.

Do this and 4ws will be stable at speed.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Thanks both for the inputs. I'm building it to be a yard and neighborhood runner, something that doesn't mind going through grass. Retro isn't my big concern but not planning to do anything too wild with it. I've been told that a little extra wheelbase helps turning stability. I'm not sure how tipover prone the Clod is with stock wheelbase. If not very, then I have no need to lengthen it.

The 4ws setup I'm planning would be easy to convert to locked rear steering, and my planned radio will let me reduce the amount of rear steer. I've see the 'shopping cart effect' driving some of my other rigs in reverse, so I understand how undesirable that can be. I do want this to start out as a 4x4x4 though, at least until I learn how bad of an idea that is.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

On my build, I went with 4ws and I'm glad I did. I did use good servos, and mounted them behind the axles to cure the reverse Ackerman issue created by Tamiya front steer geometry. With 4ws I don't have any stability issues at speed. That said, I do add a little caster with the 4 links

This is just a short run in the snow, using a pair of super cheap 3900kv brushless motor and esc combos (Amazon specials $25 a pair!).
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:54 am One mod I can't decide on is whether to do the CPE aluminum chassis brace for standard wheelbase or for a +2 inch extended wheelbase. I'm planning to use the stock ladder bars with either (I think that will work). Any thoughts on wheelbase?

Maybe you're not looking to go this far, but the CPE Timewarp chassis is a wonderful direct replacement for the stock one that offers the benefit of an adjustable wheelbase.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Oh, I thought about the Time Warp chassis. These dang Clods make it hard to stay stock. But andymac's super stocker build has me convinced that I don't need the Time Warp chassis. It's still a thought though.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

IMG_1129.jpeg
Stretch it out 8) :D
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Oh, I see 2 steering servos on that Clod!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yeah, it depends how hard you plan to ultimately run it but you can still do a lot with the stock chassis... until it cracks. Dang ABS plastic! :lol:

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Dang it, you planted the seed. Now I'm thinking more seriously about a Time Warp chassis. :lol: The mod list might cost as much as the entire kit, and I haven't started building it yet.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

For now, I'm sticking with the plastic tub chassis. It will probably get some clearance trims for the steering servos. But this batch of goodies from Crawford Performance should get me going.
1000009648.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This is really terrible chassis clearance. Definitely time for a chassis hatchet job. That Time Warp chassis does look tempting, now that I've gotten a look at the lack of clearance. Tamiya really didn't do the Clod any favors with this chassis design.
1000010222.jpg
1000010221.jpg
I'm pretty sure stretching the wheelbase has created some of my chassis clearance issue.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Finished trimming the chassis and made some ABS blanking plugs.
1000010283.jpg
1000010284.jpg
Then added some gearbox servo mounts.
1000010290.jpg
1000010292.jpg
1000010293.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Added servo savers, linkage, and bolted everything together. The tires got some homemade foam fillers added before gluing them to the wheels.
1000010299.jpg
1000010298.jpg
1000010302.jpg
All ready for the first trial run.
1000010304.jpg
I might dial back the rear steer a little bit, but the 4WS is really cool! I can't see making it front steer only, at least on 2s and stock motors. I really want to keep it 8 shocks, but I might need to soften the shocks and oil a bit.

Body is getting painted.