Traxxas Bandit indoor clay race build

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TRX-1-3

Re: Traxxas Bandit indoor clay race build

Post by TRX-1-3 »

BeastyShout wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:51 am
The steel driveshafts ordered were advertised for the Bandit however they were too long, so I suspect it is for a Slash. Running the stock plastic driveshafts on it for now. Would like to get the Exotek drag CVDs in the future.
It might be very difficult to find a CVD setup that fits the Bandit. I've seen some folks use Kyosho CVD style axles on the older TRX buggies (TRX-1, 3, etc.). But I'm not sure of the outdrive-to-outdrive width with the 272 transmission or how that might affect fitment of those on a Bandit.

Here's a vid from doctormosfet fitting modern hex rears with Kyosho axles to a TRX-3, fwiw.
https://youtu.be/FpVG0IuZBiw?feature=shared

I've always looked for CVD axles that would fit a Bandit (specifically made and marketed for a Bandit application, as I'd assume they would also fit the TRX buggies as well) and every time I cross reference or look across sellers at these axles, they always seem to be for Stampede, Rustler, Slash, etc. I guess what I'm saying is triple check your double checks before you get disappointed with a set of axles that are too long.

Liking the color combo / scheme on that body. Simple and appealing.

Edit: a thread with @Mr. ED using Ultima (or HPI?) axles..
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20092&hilit=Traxxas+tcp
Hope you're doin' something fun.

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

No vacancy in the rx. It’s become a real rats nest. I’ll have to play with cleaning it up and rerouting things.

RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

https://www.rctech.net/g/album/7805439

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

Dangeruss wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:49 am That's a good lookin' buggy, really diggin' the tri-color paint job.
Thanks! I was going for the vintage RC10 tri-color schemes of yore.
RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

Lavigna wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:08 am As much as I hate modern Traxxas, I am a huge fan of their early race cars.
The Bandit design does seem fossilized in the 90s with minimal updates since then.

I'm starting to come around on Traxxas, but they take effort to make race-worthy, and by the time I spent all that money, I could've bought a modern buggy that still performs better. :lol:

It's just fun trying to seriously get lap times down with a Traxxas plus parts availability is near infinite no matter which shop/track I go to.
RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:29 am
BeastyShout wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:51 am
The steel driveshafts ordered were advertised for the Bandit however they were too long, so I suspect it is for a Slash. Running the stock plastic driveshafts on it for now. Would like to get the Exotek drag CVDs in the future.
It might be very difficult to find a CVD setup that fits the Bandit. I've seen some folks use Kyosho CVD style axles on the older TRX buggies (TRX-1, 3, etc.). But I'm not sure of the outdrive-to-outdrive width with the 272 transmission or how that might affect fitment of those on a Bandit.

Here's a vid from doctormosfet fitting modern hex rears with Kyosho axles to a TRX-3, fwiw.
https://youtu.be/FpVG0IuZBiw?feature=shared

I've always looked for CVD axles that would fit a Bandit (specifically made and marketed for a Bandit application, as I'd assume they would also fit the TRX buggies as well) and every time I cross reference or look across sellers at these axles, they always seem to be for Stampede, Rustler, Slash, etc. I guess what I'm saying is triple check your double checks before you get disappointed with a set of axles that are too long.

Liking the color combo / scheme on that body. Simple and appealing.

Edit: a thread with @Mr. ED using Ultima (or HPI?) axles..
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20092&hilit=Traxxas+tcp
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not going to worry about the driveshafts for now, because the plastic ones seem to be working fine, but I'll definitely look into those options if/when they break.
RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Yeah, the telescopics are fully functional for sure. But the cool factor with the CVD's is, well, a cool factor. Keep us updated!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I used the light duty telescopic shafts in a stadium truck on fairly high bite dirt with a 17.5 and no slipper and they held up fine. I was worried at first about popping them but all was well. The HD or VXL telescopic shafts should be more than adequate if you want a bit more security as clay would put more stress on them.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

BeastyShout wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:58 am Thanks! I was going for the vintage RC10 tri-color schemes of yore.
Nailed it! :lol:
BeastyShout wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:05 am I'm starting to come around on Traxxas, but they take effort to make race-worthy
I think that's what makes their cars so popular. They can be built on just like we did back in the day. That was half the fun! :D

I know you mentioned putting the CV's on the back burner for now, but I'm curious, the axles your ordered... was it ExoTek kit # 2060?

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

Dangeruss wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:35 am I know you mentioned putting the CV's on the back burner for now, but I'm curious, the axles your ordered... was it ExoTek kit # 2060?
Nope. Those are the ones that I'm eyeballing for the future. The ones I actually got are basically the same design as the stock telescopics, but steel. They're all over eBay if you type in "Traxxas Bandit CVD."

The drag Slashes apparently use Bandit rear arms, and that's what the ExoTek 2060 is for. The guy at the LHS swears it'll work with the Bandit. Who knows? I already spent way too much money on this bloody thing, and my wife gave me an elbow nudge, so it's not really a priority for the time being.
RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

BeastyShout
Approved Member

Post by BeastyShout »

Added rear “Big Bore” Traxxas shocks with Associated green springs, and Yokomo YZ-2 front shocks with Associated white springs. Added a rear sway bar and a front wing. The sway bar mounts don’t look like they clear, but there’s like 1mm of clearance.

Have a 76 spur on order to run with a 31 pinion. Surprisingly able to clear a huge tabletop (if I hit it right) with an 83/26.
RC10 B4.1
RC10 B6.4
Traxxas Bandito

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

I‘m really liking your build.

Now there are some things that many say makes it hard to make the Bandit competitive.

One is he length for a buggy. The Bandit is still longer than the B4 +8 buggy. As your picture shows:

Now one thing I miss in the original and all of the available aftermarket chassis is the steering servo setup:

I personally don’t like the Steering mounted to the top plate as well as the inline servo position just as in the RC10 from the 80ies.

The Traxxas Rustler 4x4 bellcranks allow a sideway mounting of the servo.

The advantage here would be to gain some more space to move the battery even further forward, for the modern high grip tracks.

I am not in any way criticizing your work, I am just putting my (lengthy) ideas out there.
*** POWDER - KING ***