Just a Rocky Project (Formerly "My Kyosho Developed Yokomo Envy")

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HS-YZ250

Re: Super Rocky Project or "My Kyosho Developed Yokomo Envy"

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Not much done. Actually, more done than first appears below, but haven't drawn in many new parts. Been too busy with the other hobby, but here's a shot for reference. I think this is what I'm going to try and do for the battery positions, though the Right side pack may be a tight fit, thanks to the mounts for the rear gearbox. The servo location is still up in the air until I can settle on steering mechanism, side stiffeners, and gearbox to side braces. The chassis plate, when trying to use the plastic rocky front kick-up, is tricky because the kick-up and rear gearbox are not in the same plane.

Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Looks like a cool project!

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Trying to figure out the steering and front brace; This area is going to be a VERY tight fit! Other parts are mostly detailed, though I'm going to have to do a few iterations to match to the body, Some are roughed in.

Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Was this abandoned?

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

No. It's not been abandoned; just on and off when I hit roadblocks or change my mind. Was doing a lot of dirt bike racing up until a couple of years ago, then had a brief stint in model rockets, then got into some work on my old truck, then Covid. The last burst of work was early this year so I could use it as an example for a 3D Printing demo at a science festival. I got the rear suspension up and a dummy link put in to hold the steering centered. Still a long way to go, though. The next big hurdle will be getting a steering system tucked in under the front chain sprocket while keeping the gains in the significantly improved bump steer.

Unfortunately, along with a lot of life shifts due to covid, my laptop with my CAD system went down, so I've got to get that going again.

To complicate matters further, I decided to make it a double-build and fix up the Rocky I had originally bought for the Gold Universals, years ago. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on the Gold Team Associated 0.71 stroke shocks they offered until just recently, so I've been trying to come up with an alternative. Wondering if I can use these on the back >https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/21534-ASC21534-shock_body_set/

Also got my fingers crossed that some CV joints actually make it here from Japan.

Here's how the cars currently look.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VVV2FqmrRwosYrPqTYS0pY6kP84FK__q/view?usp=sharing

Also compiled a database of Kyosho CV joints in the process, if anyone would find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kF6AHPNXrmpZWUfXMB0b-yudygA8z7npwtXlfIJHQps/edit?usp=sharing
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

I don't think I'm ever going to find the time to get back into modelling a whole new chassis for this project so I'm abandoning that path and going back to where this started, which was piecing together an independent front suspension setup from Turbo Rocky parts. But complicated, of course.

BTW, if anyone wants to take a stab at following through with what I was doing, DM me and we'll talk about getting you the files and parts that I had made and collected for it.

So, here's the re-mock-up. I had a spare LA258 axle set in a box, fortunately, and was able to find one more online, so I put together a CVD set. I had to print out another couple of Watanabi inspired rocky wheels to get it on all fours. I'll probably look for a modern wheel/tire setup at some point, but this is fun to have for now.

I may have lost the special Rocky screws that hold the bumper on, annoyingly, but I have a Turbo Rocky bumper I'll put on later. When I figure out a mount for the RC10 style wing I'll be set with a very-80's looking car. I'm not a fan of the Turbo Rocky body so I'll cut up a TBG Rocky body similar to this. Debating trying to cut the nose similar to the Turbo Rocky or just cutting it to behind the front shock tower like in the image. I feel like the latter looks cleaner.

20240516_195529.jpg

Ages ago I had collected some Turbo Rocky chassis parts and had originally wanted to use them before I had gotten annoyed at the front shock layout which lead to buying all the Associated shocks and re-engineering the chassis. So I swallowed my pride and put the front and rear towers on. I initially built the set of Optima Rerelease gold shocks I had gotten for my Lazer ZX. They look great but are an odd design, though I'm not going to worry about it. I gather they are the same geometry as the platinum shocks that came on the Turbo Rocky. Like the Turbo, this gave way too much suspension droop in the rear and no droop in the front. I want to try and balance this out and see how it works, so I dug into the plethora of Associated small bore shocks I have , eventually borrowing Associated's practice of mixing long shock bodies with short shafts to get something I think I can work with on the front and rear.

20240516_195312.jpg
20240516_195350.jpg

The front setup is a 0.89 body (I think) with a .56 shaft.
The rear was a little tricky. It's a 1.02 body (I think), but Associated didn't make a .89 shaft, and the 1.02 shaft made it the same as the optima rear. So I pulled out the 0.9in shaft out of the front of my old Pro SE shock, and it turned out pretty good, though you can tell Associated and Losi had a slightly different tolerancing as the Associated piston was a tight fit on the Losi shaft.

I still want to put a travel limiter in the front to reduce the droop a little because it gets close to the axle contacting the edge of the outdrive like on the rear with the Optima length shocks, and the shock seems to want to bind a bit at the end. But the max bump is on the nose, just using up all the stroke when the chassis is on the floor. I might gain a hair by using the proper Kyosho shock end vs the longer rod end.

Here you can see how the rere gold front shock doesn't use it's full stroke when the Rocky suspension bottoms.

20240516_200504.jpg
The problem with this setup is I used the other .89 stroke shock on my Parts-To-Runner Rocky, so I'll have to buy more Associated shock parts. I'll have to think about what I want to do here. Currently I'm piecing together a new-ish build of a gold pan RC10 with Worlds Car geometry. For that I wanted that to have no modern looking coatings which would mean all gold body shocks, but I think the Worlds car took .89 front shock bodies which only came in teflon coated. I'll have to decide how I feel about grey bodies with gold caps (I know masami did that once) but if I go that route, I could get a V2 pair of .89 bodies and use them with the V2 1.02 bodies I mistakenly bought for the YZ10 on the back of the Rocky so I have threaded all around. Though I did want to try Fan RC Blue shock caps on this Rocky build and those don't fit the V2 bodies.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Re: Just a Rocky Project (Formerly "My Kyosho Developed Yokomo Envy")

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Rats. I was waiting for these to come back in stock because I wanted a blue 480T for this build, but they're now showing discontinued - https://kyoshoamerica.com/37033.html#catalog-product-description-additional
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Re: Just a Rocky Project (Formerly "My Kyosho Developed Yokomo Envy")

Post by HS-YZ250 »

I thought I had hit the jackpot when I found this NOS .89 shock body at a hobby store with the original list price. But then I took it out of the package. Think associated will warrant it? Lol!

Oh89bodybad.jpg
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky