SilverTriple's printing stuff...

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: SilverTriple's printing stuff...

Post by silvertriple »

Some progress...

The front tire is nice. And better, I can reproduce it :-)

That being said, I did not succeed to pull a rear tire yet...
Launched another different test. We'll see later...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Another test, another fail...

This is so frustrating... I decided to give up for today... It seems at some point the print splits or is not raised enough or too quickly...

The good news in this is that the filter funnel i ordered is perfect to empty the VAT... I still need to find the way to put the VAT tank in place without making any mess around, but this is so much easier than before, that it is almost comfy to do...

Maybe I won't bother too much to change resin anymore...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

These days I'm not really pushing the limits of resin printing , I just use it for fine detail cosmetic parts , I only change resin when I really need to , it's such a messy pain in the arse .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:19 pm These days I'm not really pushing the limits of resin printing , I just use it for fine detail cosmetic parts , I only change resin when I really need to , it's such a messy pain in the arse .
yeah, I see what you mean :mrgreen: "pushing the limits" is what i'm doing all the time it seems :-)
There was two reasons to empty the vat tank :
- first, I will really give up for this week-end. Tomorrow will be used for doing something else.
- second, I thought that a picture of both the print failed and the fep state would gove more data points to analyse to the resin manufacturer. They've been helpfull so far, and the trick they gave me was actually very helpfull for the front tire.

In the meantime, I decided to build a onroad car so my daughter can have one when I go with the kids in Macon for the vintage event early July...

Tomorrow will be paintjob, and that will help me to think about something else...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:45 pm
Dadio wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:19 pm These days I'm not really pushing the limits of resin printing , I just use it for fine detail cosmetic parts , I only change resin when I really need to , it's such a messy pain in the arse .
yeah, I see what you mean :mrgreen: "pushing the limits" is what i'm doing all the time it seems :-)
There was two reasons to empty the vat tank :
- first, I will really give up for this week-end. Tomorrow will be used for doing something else.
- second, I thought that a picture of both the print failed and the fep state would gove more data points to analyse to the resin manufacturer. They've been helpfull so far, and the trick they gave me was actually very helpfull for the front tire.

In the meantime, I decided to build a onroad car so my daughter can have one when I go with the kids in Macon for the vintage event early July...

Tomorrow will be paintjob, and that will help me to think about something else...
That ghost image on the FEP is interesting , my feeling is it's not enough support or you need thicker support , the elasticity of the support may require greater lift the taller it becomes but it's just a feeling .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:33 pm That ghost image on the FEP is interesting , my feeling is it's not enough support or you need thicker support , the elasticity of the support may require greater lift the taller it becomes but it's just a feeling .
Supports are heavy, and 95% density. it may still be the reason...
And for the lift it is part of my hypothesis... Not enough lift and/or not enough slow lift and/or not enough quick lift...

It would be nice to have the resin manufacturer feedback though. Using the other flex resin, it was quite straight out of the bottle, directly applied with the elements you can find on the manufacturer page...
Any case, I put this to sleep for the time being, and we'll see...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:04 am
Dadio wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:33 pm That ghost image on the FEP is interesting , my feeling is it's not enough support or you need thicker support , the elasticity of the support may require greater lift the taller it becomes but it's just a feeling .
Supports are heavy, and 95% density. it may still be the reason...
And for the lift it is part of my hypothesis... Not enough lift and/or not enough slow lift and/or not enough quick lift...

It would be nice to have the resin manufacturer feedback though. Using the other flex resin, it was quite straight out of the bottle, directly applied with the elements you can find on the manufacturer page...
Any case, I put this to sleep for the time being, and we'll see...
I did see a YouTube where someone applied silicone oil to the FEP to help release but I don't like the idea , it would be interesting to be able to vairy the lift at different print heights so the taller the print was the more it lifted to allow for the greater elasticity , anyway have a break and come back to it fresh later .

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:02 am I did see a YouTube where someone applied silicone oil to the FEP to help release but I don't like the idea , it would be interesting to be able to vairy the lift at different print heights so the taller the print was the more it lifted to allow for the greater elasticity , anyway have a break and come back to it fresh later .
I don't like it either... and some resins don't mix well with some other materials, so not really a good idea...
The break to come back fresh later is a better idea :-)

Spent a good part of the morning to do the first phase of the masking of my daughter's onroad car...
I'll do phase 2 and paintjob next...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Time to get back to some tire topics!

I received today two rolls of filaments for some tests I intend to do:
- Colorfabb Varioshore Foaming TPU
- Recreus Ninjaflex TPE 60A

I decided to launch a test right away with some tires printed in foaming TPU. The profile was supploed by Colorfabb on Printables, and the only few things I need to understand is what infill to use to get a proper foam tire.

I set the first attempt to 25% infill, and we will see the result tomorrow... Depending on the result, I'll increase or decrease the infill. The tire itself is super simple, and overhang should not be an issue in anyway with a foam tire. The original profile provided doesn't have any retractation, I will need to find out about that as well... First indications will be tomorrow...

LoCoCNC
Approved Member

Post by LoCoCNC »

Just fyi, we have a Saturn 2 printer and added the wham bam flex plate. Best decision ever. So much easier than pounding of prints with a chisel.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

LoCoCNC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:39 pm Just fyi, we have a Saturn 2 printer and added the wham bam flex plate. Best decision ever. So much easier than pounding of prints with a chisel.
I've considered this and let it on the side : for flex resin, it won't change anything as the print flex with the flex plate. I have a second build platform, though...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:42 am
LoCoCNC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:39 pm Just fyi, we have a Saturn 2 printer and added the wham bam flex plate. Best decision ever. So much easier than pounding of prints with a chisel.
I've considered this and let it on the side : for flex resin, it won't change anything as the print flex with the flex plate. I have a second build platform, though...
For resin prints I make sure part of the print is very near that e edge and slide an exacto knife under the print edge to start lifting the edge .

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:59 am
For resin prints I make sure part of the print is very near that e edge and slide an exacto knife under the print edge to start lifting the edge .
Never had any single issue to remove a print from the build plate... But the difficulty of the flex resin is that there is no way to lift just a side, as it flex. You really need a good spatula to get between the flex printed part and the build plate. And it need to be long enough for this : at least half of the build plate length. And with this, it is pretty much easy.

That said, I can't say that I did not thought about the whambam flex plate. But it requires a modification of the z-axis limiter, and further, compared to two build plates properly leveled, I can't be sure that 2 whambam flex plate would have an equal level, and I'm not even sure it would work with flex prints... For me a second build plate is the way to go, even if it is at the price of prints more difficult to remove.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

And the result is here :

Notes :
- stringing is coming from the lack of any retractation in the used profile, provided directly by Colorfabb for Bambulab printers
- 25% Cubic infill is too much for what I want to achieve, but it could be nice for a shelve...
- The tire design is quite simple, and can be adapted to any rims, external dimension and wiidth...
- I thought the lettering would be not as good as it is, so this means that pretty much everything is possible (a world of possibilities).

Next : refine infill to approach targeted shore for the tire on the rim (far too hard at this stage).

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Infill set to cubic-5% seems to be a nice spot. Maybe I should reduce bottom and top walls (there is currently 6, and 3 wall loops) as the sides seems to be slightly too rigid. I'll probably launch another print with 4 or 5 wall loops. The real question I have is to understand is they grip or not, and if they last more than a 5 minutes run on an asphalt track :-)

Time will tell...