Hello from Manitoba Canada

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CCC

Hello from Manitoba Canada

Post by CCC »

It’s been awhile since I was in the hobby. I recently wanted to get a new radio for my old RC10T so that my son could see it in action. That’s what started it all off again.
It all started when I saw some one with a RC10. I think I was 14 at the time. I had always liked radio control cars but had only had toy ones up that point. After seeing that car I knew that I had to have one. I had a decent road car, but it only worked on very smooth surfaces.
I saved up some money and purchased my first hobby grade RC. I purchased a used Tamyia Blackfoot from a kid at school. I've got to tell you that truck was a blast. I had a lot of fun with it, but it wasn’t that cool Team Associated RC10.
So I got my first real job and saved and saved. I lived outside the big city, so when I had saved enough I took the bus across town to the hobby store. I went there and bought the RC10 and a radio. I didn’t have enough money to even consider getting a ESC. In fact thinking back I’m amazed that I ever was able to afford it. Minimum wage back then was $3.05 per hour.
I rode back on the bus proudly with my new purchase. I had to be picked up by my parents at the end of the bus line because I lived too far out of town. My Parents went camping that weekend and I went with them. I built the RC10 in one day at the table in the trailer.
One of the kids camping had a Grasshopper that had a 8.4 battery. My RC10 with the stock motor that came with it, and the mechanical speed controller. It destroyed the Grasshopper in a race. Needless to say I was very happy.
A drivers licence and girls slowed down the interest in RC cars for awhile.
Fast forward to early university days. My friends got back into racing RC around this time. I pulled out the old RC10. Unfortunately everyone was into stadium trucks now. The newer trucks with their new stealth transmission were pretty fast. So it was time for an upgrade
I purchased a RC10T. I purchased the bearing kit for it ($80 ouch!), and used the radio out of the RC10. I ran the mechanical speed controller for a bit until I was able to purchase an Novak 410 M1C speed controller. Eventually I got into the modified class and was running a 12 turn double.
I had an artistic friend with an airbrush and had him paint some pretty cool flames on it. Unfortunately while changing a battery on a windy day caused the shell to blow away. It landed underneath a car that was baking up and damaged it, and virtually destroyed the paint job. I never ended up replacing it, or fixing the paint job.
I disassembled the RC10 for some reason. I think the parts are still in my parents house somewhere.
So back to the hobby store. My RC10T needed a radio as the ole one had broke. They did a pretty good job of talking me into a new truck instead. I can’t believe what you can get for the money know! So I ended up getting my son a Traxxis Rustler. The store wanted to buy my RC10T from me. They wanted it for there collection of old RC models. They did not have an RC10T. I turned them down, I just didn’t want to part with it.
My 7 year old has had plenty of toy RC’s. When I got the Rustler battery charged and showed it to him he was pretty excited. I was happy that the ESC had a option to reduce the power by 50% But you know what? I didn’t need to. I can’t believe how good of a driver her is.
The only thing more fun that one RC, is two. Back to the hobby store I went. I purchased a new radio and while I was at it I upgraded the ESC. Back I my younger days we were snobbish about ESC. If someone got one with reverse we would all bug that person because you cant use reverse in a race. In my older years I know that was a stupid line of thinking. Not having reverse for the few races I was in, in a year? Of course the modern ESC allow you to have reverse and just shut it off for the races.
And since I was upgrading I figure why not get a brushless motor? Needless to say it was an expensive day. It was worth it though. I have been having a blast driving with my son. Now I have to get something my three year old can drive!

The only thing I appear to be missing is one part from the three piece wheel. I sure I have it , I just have to find it. I have also finally stripped the ruined paint job off. The body is damaged, but I'm going to keep it for nostalgia purposes. I will probably pick up a T2 body from AE.

Curtis

GoMachV

Re: Hello from Manitoba Canada

Post by GoMachV »

Welcome! Truck looks great!

Dig the accent too :P
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Great story, thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

welcome eh!

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

nice to meet ya

ive got bit by the race bug again as well .. how is the rc out that way

CCC

Post by CCC »

Thanks for all the welcomes.
integra22t wrote:nice to meet ya

ive got bit by the race bug again as well .. how is the rc out that way
Where I am the racing is just myself and my boys. I live in the middle of nowhere. In Winnipeg its not bad. The biggest hobby shop has a RC tv show on a local channel. They have a outdoor track. I believe they also have an indoor track, but I haven't been there yet. I hope to get my son in a few races this year.

CCC

Post by CCC »

Zombie thread!

Pleased to report that I found the missing piece to my wheel. The truck really hasn't done much in the last 7 years. My energy has been towards maintaining my three kids fleet of cars. We are also into planes and boats. My poor old original body is just in rough shape. Back then there were no new bodies available to put on it. But thank you JConcepts. I picked one up and just need to paint it.

One with the old body

The fleet of Team Associated

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Building your car on the table in the camp trailer!!! What a memory that must be! Awesome!

Welcome.
Hope you're doin' something fun.