Anyone Else Collecting Radio Shack Rigs?

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Anyone Else Collecting Radio Shack Rigs?

Post by morrisey0 »

Just wondering if anyone else is picking up nice RS rigs when they run across them. Kinda junk, and mostly kinda silly, but they still have that nostalgia about them. I only pick them up when in box, and usually barely used. I know exactly why they are in that shape, and why there are LOADS of them out them in that condition. :D I had a guy throw me one in exchange for a cheap motor / esc combo that I was going to give him. Since them, I always keep an eye out for them. Just wondering if anyone does collect, what is your favorite vehicle? I have found a couple that stick out to me for some reason, but they are always a bit out of my price range for something that is going to stay in a box on a shelf.

This is my "basic" collection. I have two others that are my favorites, but don't have good pics of them yet.
rs collection 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

JosephS

Re: Anyone Else Collecting Radio Shack Rigs?

Post by JosephS »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 pm Just wondering if anyone else is picking up nice RS rigs when they run across them. Kinda junk, and mostly kinda silly, but they still have that nostalgia about them. I only pick them up when in box, and usually barely used. I know exactly why they are in that shape, and why there are LOADS of them out them in that condition. :D I had a guy throw me one in exchange for a cheap motor / esc combo that I was going to give him. Since them, I always keep an eye out for them. Just wondering if anyone does collect, what is your favorite vehicle? I have found a couple that stick out to me for some reason, but they are always a bit out of my price range for something that is going to stay in a box on a shelf.

This is my "basic" collection. I have two others that are my favorites, but don't have good pics of them yet.

rs collection 1.jpg
I don't have much space for a collection, but I really enjoyed the golden arrow. Basically a Schumacher cat with an esc. I brought wrec kone a few years ago and simply didn't have the time to rehab it. That was a solid car that could really take some abuse and still run fast.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

I don't collect them but my dad was a big radio shack fan! That Frame Buggy was under the Christmas tree one year. I used to jump if off the single step between our kitchen and living room.
Self described chronic hobbyist

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

No, don't collect them, but sure in the heck miss Radio Shack.
-Jerry-

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I wish I had loved the Radio Shack rc Jeep I got for Christmas when I was a kid more than I did. :(

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am I wish I had loved the Radio Shack rc Jeep I got for Christmas when I was a kid more than I did. :(
This is my theory of RS RCs of the '80s.

Kid tells parents they really want an RC car. They have seen other kids (or adults) racing them, and they want one bad.

Parents go by the local hobby shop, and heck no they aren't spending that much money on a toy car. They hear RS has RC cars, and they stop in. For an affordable price, they buy a car, a 1200mah NiCd 7.2v pack (or just some alkalines for the small ones), and a wall charger because they don't want to spend the extra money on the "quick" charger.

They charge the pack up, and give the car to the kid, whose eyes light up like the sun! Could not be happier in life. Excitedly, runs the car around the backyard and driveway; realizes it isn't as fast, and no where near as fun, as the RC cars they have seen others running. After 5-10 minutes, the car slows down and it is already all over. Parents tell the kid not to worry, they can do it all over again tomorrow after the battery charges for 12-14 hours. :( The kid takes it to their room, maybe runs it one or two more times, and then back in the box and into their closet. Then later moved to the attic or basement. Eventually makes it to a yard sale or online marketplace.

This is why there are LOADS of these things still around, and a large portion of them still have the original box, battery, etc. They were probably used for 10-30 minutes, and packed away.

These are my two pride and joys in the collection so far. Both bought by a granddad for his two grandsons when they visited, but they never took to them and got little to no use. The TSAURO-X's battery pack is still in the battery box and has never been opened. A battery was installed on the GA, but if it was ran, it was indoors briefly. They are both pristine. Found them in an antique shop in NC.

TSAURO-X. Very similar to the GA in regards to chassis and drivetrain, with a Nikko Dictator II body on it.
TSAURO-X 1.jpg
And the famous Golden Arrow:
GOLDEN ARROW 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I loved my 'Shack Audi RC car. It had headlights and could be driven in early evening.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

This reminds me of my first "cool" r/c, a Tyco 9.6V Turbo Fast Traxx (the pickup version). Didn't get it at Radio Shack (don't think they were sold there), but at KB Toys in the local mall. I remember that thing was so awesome as a young whipper-snapper and ran the beans out of it. Was actually decently fast. Frequently I search for them for sale, but hot g-snap, quality units are pricey.
-Jerry-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I had one, too! I got it for Christmas. I'm pretty sure I have a picture or two of it taken that day.

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

Sweet! I didnt know people cared about the radioshack/walmart stuff. I thought everyone only cared about the hobby grade stuff. I have thought about finding a broken radioshack car, gutting it and fitting it with hobby grade electronics. Hahaha

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well I'm sure for many of us we transitioned into hobby grade R/C from toy grade. All throughout the '80s I had Nikkos and such until my parents felt I was old enough, and they could afford to buy me a hobby grade R/C. If you do a search, I believe there's a couple threads involving the fitment of hobby grade electronics into toy grade R/Cs.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Indeed, my parents bought my brother and I at least a couple smaller toy grade Nikkos in the '80s. I remember getting the Turbo Fast Traxx for Christmas as well. Loved driving it in the snow because it would go through it with ease, that and it was bigger and way faster than the Nikkos that came before it. But my first hobby grade Futaba FXT I had to buy on my own with paper route money, that was too expensive to get for a Christmas or birthday present. That's why I have such a hard on for them, it was the first "big purchase" that I had to save up my own money for.
-Jerry-

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

nitrous36 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am I have thought about finding a broken radioshack car, gutting it and fitting it with hobby grade electronics.
Problem there is you still have toy grade suspension, steering, gearbox, well, everything really.

I have always been a big fan of hard plastic bodies on cars. I did crawling for about 10 years, and most of my trucks ended up with some sort of [usually] toy grade plastic body on them. The new Bronco in my first pic above is a New Bright body on an Axial SCX10 platform.

And then there is little little nugget that has been bouncing around my head. It needs to be mid-engined for it to work right, but it is looking promising.
GOLD PAN ARROW 1.jpg

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

morrisey0 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:07 pm
nitrous36 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am I have thought about finding a broken radioshack car, gutting it and fitting it with hobby grade electronics.
Problem there is you still have toy grade suspension, steering, gearbox, well, everything really.

I have always been a big fan of hard plastic bodies on cars. I did crawling for about 10 years, and most of my trucks ended up with some sort of [usually] toy grade plastic body on them. The new Bronco in my first pic above is a New Bright body on an Axial SCX10 platform.

And then there is little little nugget that has been bouncing around my head. It needs to be mid-engined for it to work right, but it is looking promising.
GOLD PAN ARROW 1.jpg
Dude thats sweet! And I agree, sometimes I think the hard plastic bodies would lend themselves better to bashing than lexan. On that note, Im suprised aarma and traxxas haven't ventured into that idea yet. Unless they have and Im unaware.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Pro-line makes some tougher, unpaintable bodies for bashing. They want $80+ for them though.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"