RC10 Team Car #6035 black tub chassis collectibility

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

RC10 Team Car #6035 black tub chassis collectibility

Post by TokyoProf »

Is the RC10 Team Car #6035 from the early 1990s a fairly collectible buggy in RC10 buggy history? I have the opportunity to waste my money and get a NIB (opened) but unassembled kit. I remember this car from 2wd buggy racing in the early 1990s. Is 1200-1500 USD (or more?) about how much these have sold for recently?
I actually like the all-white nylon appearance of this buggy more than the Worlds car.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

jwscab

Re: RC10 Team Car #6035 black tub chassis collectibility

Post by jwscab »

New built or partially assembled cars are kind of a unique bird. There is value in the non used aspect of the car. But once you assemble it the value drops. But I think all this valuation today is way overblown, that kind of price is something I would never pay, I'd collect a bunch of new and lightly used parts and build my own and likely for a lot less.

That's just me. If you have your heart set on it for sentimental reasons it's up to you.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TokyoProf wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:08 am Is the RC10 Team Car #6035 from the early 1990s a fairly collectible buggy in RC10 buggy history? I have the opportunity to waste my money and get a NIB (opened) but unassembled kit. I remember this car from 2wd buggy racing in the early 1990s. Is 1200-1500 USD (or more?) about how much these have sold for recently?
I actually like the all-white nylon appearance of this buggy more than the Worlds car.
I always talk myself out this given you can buy several nice cars and re-anodize them for the same price point. It's a great car and I have one. It's basically a late CE with a black chassis, teflon shocks, and ball bearings.

The price is rich for me, but that doesn't mean it's not right. The open box and sealed bags is nearly ideal, to me, in that you can see and inspect that everything is there and in the condition that you want it to be in. The price range doesn't seem out of line comparing it to Re-Re kits I've seen selling, if you give preference to originals plastics. If I saw that I'd be mighty tempted as well, especially at the lower end.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

jwscab wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 am New built or partially assembled cars are kind of a unique bird. There is value in the non used aspect of the car. But once you assemble it the value drops. But I think all this valuation today is way overblown, that kind of price is something I would never pay, I'd collect a bunch of new and lightly used parts and build my own and likely for a lot less.

That's just me. If you have your heart set on it for sentimental reasons it's up to you.
Since this is all option based I don't see any extra value on a 'new built' car. Being in the packages is exactly what you are paying for.
It's all of the extras the comes with a car that drive the price up. It's like a new part in a bag with a header cards vs a 'new' part out of the bag.

The box, manual, inserts, stickers are all items that can be hard to find and expensive when you do. The parts bags themselves are typically not available. If that isn't important I would think you could find nearly all of the parts new in bags for less than $1000. If you can live without kit original body, wheels and tires the price starts to get even more reasonable.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Since this is all option based I don't see any extra value on a 'new built' car. Being in the packages is exactly what you are paying for.
It's all of the extras the comes with a car that drive the price up. It's like a new part in a bag with a header cards vs a 'new' part out of the bag.

The box, manual, inserts, stickers are all items that can be hard to find and expensive when you do. The parts bags themselves are typically not available. If that isn't important I would think you could find nearly all of the parts new in bags for less than $1000. If you can live without kit original body, wheels and tires the price starts to get even more reasonable.
[/quote]

Thank you for the different perspectives. It helps me think about pulling the trigger on a collectible. I agree that it is the package deal (preserved from the 1990s) which is what I am paying for. I used to race the Egress in the 1990s and the RC10 Team Car was the last Team Associated car that I followed and observed closely in races. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so the brand new aspect of it is very appealing. It is getting painfully expensive but collectibles are a small hedge against inflation, so I'm okay with paying a small premium for nicer items in this hobby..up to a point of course. Here are photos of the kit (not yet purchased).
Attachments
IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5772.jpg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TokyoProf wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:07 am
Thank you for the different perspectives. It helps me think about pulling the trigger on a collectible. I agree that it is the package deal (preserved from the 1990s) which is what I am paying for. I used to race the Egress in the 1990s and the RC10 Team Car was the last Team Associated car that I followed and observed closely in races. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so the brand new aspect of it is very appealing. It is getting painfully expensive but collectibles are a small hedge against inflation, so I'm okay with paying a small premium for nicer items in this hobby..up to a point of course. Here are photos of the kit (not yet purchased).
What a fantastic find. Once you close the deal I'd love to know where to find something like this and what you ended on for a price.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

All the vintage rc10 stuff is currently and will become even more collectable because its unlikely they'll ever be reproduced again. I'm surprised there are as many NIB cars/parts out there as there is... It's also why I scoop them up any chance I get :lol:

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

rwordenjr wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm All the vintage rc10 stuff is currently and will become even more collectable because its unlikely they'll ever be reproduced again. I'm surprised there are as many NIB cars/parts out there as there is... It's also why I scoop them up any chance I get :lol:
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, as a collector, would 2,225 USD for a NIB (opened but all parts are still in packages) Edinger RC10? Would you consider that on the low end or high end? The Edinger is older but they made so many more of them (hundreds of thousands) compared to the Team Car RC10 #6025 (since iterations followed before and after pretty quickly).

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

TokyoProf wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:00 pm
rwordenjr wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm All the vintage rc10 stuff is currently and will become even more collectable because its unlikely they'll ever be reproduced again. I'm surprised there are as many NIB cars/parts out there as there is... It's also why I scoop them up any chance I get :lol:
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, as a collector, would 2,225 USD for a NIB (opened but all parts are still in packages) Edinger RC10? Would you consider that on the low end or high end? The Edinger is older but they made so many more of them (hundreds of thousands) compared to the Team Car RC10 #6025 (since iterations followed before and after pretty quickly).
I think that's a bit high considering its not sealed anymore. If it was sealed, probably about right in todays market. For what you described, the price should probably be $1400-1600.