morrisey0's Trackmaster Oval Car

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

morrisey0's Trackmaster Oval Car

Post by morrisey0 »

I picked up this super rusty POS earlier this week, and have cluttered up a couple of other threads with posts about it, so to quit all that I started a thread for it on it's own.

Back story: An ad pops up on FBMP for a vintage oval car a couple of hours away from me. Within 10 seconds I see a couple of Novak products, an oval car transmission, and an $80 price tag. I am on my way within the hour without looking any further.

I ended up with this.

Now, I live within a 2 hour drive of where I got this thing. I have many things in my life that have been stored in an unconditioned garage or shed for 2-3 decades, and none of them are as rusty as the steel coated items on this vehicle! It literally looks like it was in a lake or buried in mud for quite some time. I don't care! It was worth the purchase price.

Through the very useful "identifications" section of this forum, I learned from GomachV that this is a Trackmaster RC10 oval conversion chassis with a Custom Works Dominator steering set up. Then scr8p informs me that the trans is from a Badger oval car.

Great news off the bat is that the super hacked chassis is a Trackmaster chassis, and Jeff at factoryworks.com supplies replacement chassis! So that part is sorted.

Then there is the front end, and yea, at first I wanted to recreate what was there, but yea, no, 80% of the front end made it's way to the trash can. Shocks, rod ends, Dominator hinges, caster blocks, and one steering block was about all that survived.

Then the rear. From the pic you can see some sort of f'glass shock tower screwed to what remains of the black shock tower, and then an Andy's rear body mount mated to it is some form or fashion. This is kinda weird because the more I look into the original shock tower (in its full form) that is mounted to the trans plates, it probably would have worked just fine for the intended purpose. The rear arms have been cut up to make a little extra room for driveshafts. Again, most of it is garbage. The only things saved from the rear are the shocks, the caster blocks, the trans and shafts.

It is around now that I realize that the trans plates don't mount directly to the chassis; they mount to the arm mounts, which in turn mount to the chassis as typical on RC10s. And as far as I realize now, you can simply screw this trans / arm mounts to any ol' RC10 out there. But not so simple.............

sidenote here: I slap that crappy looking trans in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, and the gd thing comes out shining! I don't think they were made this way, so I think a po polished this thing up. I simply finished off what was there, and I can see my reflection

I get my replacement chassis plate from FTW, and go to mount the trans, and it doesn't quite match up. Come to find out the PO had "ovaled" the mounting holes for the trans/ arms mounts to make it fit. Which leads me to where I am this evening. GomachV has suggested shaving some of the arm mounts, which is a great idea but I worry about leaving enough meat on the bone, and this trans (and mounts) are pretty rare, so I don't want to modify anything unless I have to. phin suggested flipping the flanged bearings to narrow the plate width, which again is a great idea, but then there is nothing to keep the bearings from leaving outwards, and it leaves too much play on the shafts internally. The trans plates are 1/8" themselves, and the bearing depth minus the flange is about 3/32", so that is letting the shafts slide.

So this is where this little POS stands tonight. Feel free to throw ideas. What would usually be the most difficult way may be the easiest way, and that is to change the mounting holes on the chassis just a little bit to match the trans. As of this moment, that is the route I am probably going.
TM OVAL CAR 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

coxbros1

Re: morrisey0's Trackmaster Oval Car

Post by coxbros1 »

Amazing find, awesome build coming!...and it better be finished before the end of the year so u can enter it in BOTM...just love it
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Awesome transformation !!
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

So ultimately, I went with Phin's original suggestion and flipped the bearings around in the trans, and all is going to be fine (for a car that probably isn't going to actually get run). The bearings are a tight fit, and I found some 1/4" shims, so I could take up the side to side movement of the shafts. I ended up getting the rear end mocked up to just about how I think it will end up.

I got to looking at the front end, and ran into an issue real quick that I didn't think about. What do I do about caster blocks without a kickup chassis? Is there a such thing as 0, or close to 0, degree caster block? I threw some Bandit blocks in there, and they are fine in regards to caster, but RC10 knuckles don't really fit in them well, and the Bandit knuckles have internal bearings, so not sure how to attack this one quite yet. EDIT: Through research, what I am looking for is 30* caster blocks.

A good chunk of the rest of the rig is coming together kinda as a spare parts build. I have most, if not all, of the nylon I need. I found a set of CE wheels and some NIP spike tires that should do the trick. My hold up right now is waiting on a lowering kit from Shapeways. That may not be here for a couple of weeks.
TM OVAL CAR 4.jpg
TM OVAL CAR 5.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you were looking for 0 degree, maybe this would have worked.
Screenshot_20230320-204925.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 pm If you were looking for 0 degree, maybe this would have worked.
I saw those earlier, and almost ordered a pair just to see how close they would be. I ended up finding a shop with a new set of 6210 30* black blocks. so I ordered those, and did a bit more digging and found a white pair in all my junk. Just have to wait to hydrate and whiten.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You can also flip the blocks left to right. You would need to clearance them for the steering to work correctly but that's how some did it bitd
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 20-18-14 TMS rc10 dually pickup roller team associated RARE VINTAGE #3926668155.png
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

You could also run some Cheetah castor wedges under the front arm mounts. I believe you can print those on the Shapeways site as well.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Thanks for the tips guys! The 30* blocks I found cleaned up well enough so they will be used.

I am starting to look into steering a little bit. Every pic I can find of a TM chassis seems to just show the servo taped to the front tower, and the chassis doesn't leave much in regards to places to place mounts. I may end up just taping it, but still looking at alternatives.

Waiting on an actual McAllister lowering kit to come in before too too much more suspension work up front.

Got the wheels and tires just how I wanted them to closely match the original car, but when I went looking at bodies, I had a little brainstorm, and am going a different direction, so these will end up on another build sometime.
TM OVAL CAR 6.jpg
TM OVAL CAR 7.jpg

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

The servo is supposed to be taped to the front tower. It looks odd, but that's what the instructions suggest. Here's a scan I made of the original manual:

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19940&p=194789&hilit=trackmaster#p194789

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

LTO_Dave wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:09 pm The servo is supposed to be taped to the front tower. It looks odd, but that's what the instructions suggest. Here's a scan I made of the original manual:
HOLY CR4P!! Thank you so much for that!!!

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

BADASS!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

The front end is just about done with the addition of the McAllister lowering kit.
TM OVAL CAR 8.jpg
The rear end is waiting for the Badger rear shock tower to show up from FTW, and then final install can take place back there.
TM OVAL CAR 9.jpg
I know the whole thing looks almost comically wide at this point. :mrgreen: But there is a reason for that season, as long as the body situation works outs.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Chassis just about wrapped up. Just need to fab up rear body posts, and then on to the body. Wheel track is just about dead on! :D
TM OVAL CAR 10.jpg
TM OVAL CAR 11.jpg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:17 pm Wheel track is just about dead on! :D
Lol!...looking good tho
Tap pic for clarity: Derek