Considering a Bandit. Questions

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Saito
Approved Member

Considering a Bandit. Questions

Post by Saito »

I've always had a soft spot for old Traxxas stuff like the Bullet. When the TRX-1 came out BITD, I was really intrigued. I'm not overly knowledgeable on Traxxas stuff, but how much of the TRX-1 DNA made it into the Bandit we know today? I have this strange idea for a project to add some type of fiberglass chassis (or make one if one isn't available) to a Bandit, make some upgrades and top it off with a repro TXT-1 body. In the end, would the resulting buggy be somewhat on par with an old 6 gear RC10 or even a JR-X2 or am I dreaming? Thanks for any Traxxas insight.

GoMachV

Re: Considering a Bandit. Questions

Post by GoMachV »

It’s a lot different. The front bulkhead is wider on a bandit, front tower incompatible. Front caster blocks and steering is all different. The trans and arm mounts are one piece so you have no adjustability and it’s narrower. Trans internals are different as well as the ratio. The rear arms are the same.

I (Factory Works) make a conversion chassis to do exactly that though. It looks like a TRX3 but uses the Bandit components. We use a nitro stampede rear bulkhead and spacers as the old TRX1/3 are impossible to find (in the pics are original pieces). It took a lot of work to create the conversion, several revisions to get it right. We have a SRT style Rustler as well.
Attachments
308990F6-91E1-44C0-9DF8-043CF9F32499.jpeg
5117F1E7-B614-462E-8613-817D16D9DCA3.jpeg
A038B2C4-8F88-4E0D-8BC9-D2EBD817C7B7.jpeg
325B00FE-C3A9-4538-A6BB-8A432F158746.jpeg
F53AE0FD-7ADC-4F0E-9E5B-185D7BE31EFA.jpeg
B9D203F9-DCD9-4007-8E5A-4DB2F4EABB0A.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Very nice. That's kinda what I had in mind. Now I have to find a cheap Bandit donor.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 pm The rear arms are the same......
:lol:
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Doesn't proline or rpm have a pro-gearbox for these cars too?

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 pm Doesn't proline or rpm have a pro-gearbox for these cars too?
Yes and I think the MIP goodies (for the 272 "Magnum") are still somewhat "widely" available.....

And a guy could always shear the rear arm mounts from the gearbox assembly and use the separate mounts if the chassis is drilled for them. I THINK.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

RPM makes a trans case with a metal motor plate and separate, replaceable inner arm mounts. Proline used to make a whole trans but I think its discontinued. The trick is getting donor Bandit cheap. Folks on my local C-List and Marketplace are asking far more for their used examples than a new one from Traxxas. The new one is relatively cheap, but by the time you start adding in all the cool parts, I'm getting into re-re Ultima money and I'm not sure a hopped-up Bandit is better than or even cooler than an Ultima. I do have a Stampede I could gut but there's quite a few Bandit specific parts I'd need to get. Decisions decisions.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Saito wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm The trick is getting donor Bandit cheap. Folks on my local C-List and Marketplace are asking far more for their used examples than a new one from Traxxas. The new one is relatively cheap,
that is kinda crazy. Around me the bandit gets treated like the red headed stepchild of the family. They buy a vxl run it for a summer and then turn around and sell them for pennies on the dollar. At one time I had about 10 of them sitting around with less than 300 bux invested in all that mess :lol:

as far as a hopped up bandit being cooler than an ultima...yeah, hands down winner there. ultimas never really did it for me though so I'm biased 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

klavy69 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 pm that is kinda crazy. Around me the bandit gets treated like the red headed stepchild of the family.
Yeah, I know. It seems like Stampedes and Rustlers are more popular but the prices on these used Bandits around me are nuts. On my local trade sites there's 3 ATM. One is a used XL5 for $235 but comes with an extra battery and charger. The second is a used VXL for $260 and the third is a used VXL with 2 extra batteries for $400. Come'on people, a brand new XL5 is only $159 and a new VXL is only $269. Prices have been up like this before Covid too. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Some fool is trying to get $100 for an old used Parma Gravedigger body with a huge hole cut in the hood and windshield. Hey, it even comes with extra holes drilled in it in various locations! What a bargain!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Saito wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:49 pm
Hey, it even comes with extra holes drilled in it in various locations! What a bargain!
maybe they seen the lightened gold pans and think its an edinger :P
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Saito wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:49 pm
klavy69 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 pm that is kinda crazy. Around me the bandit gets treated like the red headed stepchild of the family.
Yeah, I know. It seems like Stampedes and Rustlers are more popular but the prices on these used Bandits around me are nuts. On my local trade sites there's 3 ATM. One is a used XL5 for $235 but comes with an extra battery and charger. The second is a used VXL for $260 and the third is a used VXL with 2 extra batteries for $400. Come'on people, a brand new XL5 is only $159 and a new VXL is only $269. Prices have been up like this before Covid too. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Some fool is trying to get $100 for an old used Parma Gravedigger body with a huge hole cut in the hood and windshield. Hey, it even comes with extra holes drilled in it in various locations! What a bargain!
You could go for one of the used Rustlers if they go for less and just swap out the arms, Traxxas or RPM. The chassis is identical, not like everyone else, where the truck chassis is longer.
*** POWDER - KING ***