Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JoeP
Approved Member

Re: Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

Post by JoeP »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 pm They break down and dissolve dried oil and grease better than common cleaners.
Gotcha. Simple Green... although friendly to my hands and lungs... really does take a lot of scrubbing. I may use something stronger on the metal parts

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I just use whatever is handy -- like a can of CRC electric parts cleaner from the auto parts store. I use it in a well ventilated area.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 pm I just use whatever is handy -- like a can of CRC electric parts cleaner from the auto parts store. I use it in a well ventilated area.
I have both. I use the carburetor cleaner when I can because it is much cheaper (Super Tech from Walmart). My local Walmart also has the CRC electric cleaner.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

JoeP wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:52 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:46 pm I soak used bearings in lighter fluid or acetone (if they are really nasty), then spray them with carburetor cleaner and an RPM Bearing Blaster, then lube them with Lucas fishing reel oil (any light oil will do).
Is there something specific about bearings that causes you to use those solvents versus a more general degreaser? I've been using simple green for everything. I guess maybe there's a concern with getting water inside?
Acetone and other solvents fully evaporate without residue. That important in bearings.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

I know some of you were wondering about the contents of the KNK hardware set. Here's a pic of everything it came with.

Have officially started the rebuild tonight so I will post some progress pictures tomorrow.
Attachments
PXL_20231010_030213055.jpg

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

What would you all do here? Is it worth trying to get a replacement piece for this suspension mount or could I possibly hack something together with epoxy, a file and a new screw hole drilled? I did see that guy on Facebook is selling the reproduction parts but it seems like he is in the UK and I'm not sure where it's going to wind up costing me to get a single piece of plastic shipped. Is there any online store that has these parts or am I going to have to find an individual printing them?
Attachments
PXL_20231010_135128665.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Personally I'd either get a new or used from eBay, or use a 3D printed one.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

JoeP wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:04 pm I know some of you were wondering about the contents of the KNK hardware set. Here's a pic of everything it came with.

Have officially started the rebuild tonight so I will post some progress pictures tomorrow.
Thanks for posting a photo.
So, screws, nuts and washers -- no clips, roll pins, bevel washers or springs for the dog bones.
It's nicely packaged and labeled however. I reckon much of the 30 bucks is for packaging labor. Nice kit.

Regarding the broken front suspension mount, it's common to see this but your best option is to find a replacement. Any attempt to repair the part probably won't last long. For my runner cars, I will fabricate an aluminum bar that spans the two pivot pins. Then I remind myself to avoid the trees and fence posts. :oops:

Looking forward to re-assembly photos.
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Team KNK also distributes FanRC which is the company selling the reproduction parts. Looks like $15 for them plus shipping https://teamknkhardware.com/fan-rc/1791-front-arm-mount.html
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

It was mentioned earlier, but did not see confirmation, did you hydrate the nylon?
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:35 am
JoeP wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:04 pm I know some of you were wondering about the contents of the KNK hardware set. Here's a pic of everything it came with.

Thanks for posting a photo.
So, screws, nuts and washers -- no clips, roll pins, bevel washers or springs for the dog bones.
It's nicely packaged and labeled however. I reckon much of the 30 bucks is for packaging labor. Nice kit.

Regarding the broken front suspension mount, it's common to see this but your best option is to find a replacement. Any attempt to repair the part probably won't last long. For my runner cars, I will fabricate an aluminum bar that spans the two pivot pins. Then I remind myself to avoid the trees and fence posts. :oops:

Looking forward to re-assembly photos.
Yeah I was kind of disappointed that it didn't come with any of the snap rings. I know they are pretty common pieces of hardware that you can get anywhere, but still it would have been nice to get some replacements.

And yeah I'm just going to buy replacement plastic

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

GoMachV wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:09 am Team KNK also distributes FanRC which is the company selling the reproduction parts. Looks like $15 for them plus shipping https://teamknkhardware.com/fan-rc/1791-front-arm-mount.html
Oh this is perfect! I didn't see them on the KNK site when I bought the hardware. Much easier than going through someone on Facebook. I'll grab it from here.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:51 am It was mentioned earlier, but did not see confirmation, did you hydrate the nylon?
I did. Everything went through a sonic cleaner with some simple green for about 10 to 15 minutes and then all of it soaked in plain water for a few days at least. I hope that's enough.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

So Im back. Starting to think I am missing more than I originally thought... And that maybe some of this car was a hack job :D

I do not seem to have any of the ball ends or caps mentioned in the instructions. On top of that now that I am looking at the rods mine came with... They do not appear to be original at all. Are these black end rods familiar at all? Seems like someone even hacked at the plastic a bit... Possibly to retrofit from some other car?

Either way, seems like those ball ends are pretty much impossible to find nowadays (6270, 6271). Any thoughts?

EDIT: seems like KNK also has the metal ball studs!

https://teamknkhardware.com/fan-rc/1818-ball-stud-set-for-rc10-series.html

I guess ill need to also buy the white caps

https://teamknkhardware.com/fan-rc/1807-ball-cup-16-pcs-for-rc10-series-white.html
Attachments
PXL_20231015_205728311.jpg
Screenshot_20231015-170107.png
Screenshot_20231015-170112.png

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

DuBro ball links were a common swap for ball cups and they did need trimming for clearance.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"