Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Dangeruss »

LowClassCC wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:47 pm I'm sure most if not all here agree that we appreciate everything you do for the site.
I second that!

Certificate of Awesomeness.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks guys! I don't mind doing all the technical work it takes as it's what I signed up for. I actually enjoy it but like everything else, it can be frustrating at times. :)

And yes, I still have to add the other graphical award for Build of the Year. That will be done in the next few days. Right now though it's 2:00am here, and I'm off to set up a Roku streaming device.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

We have several Rokus. 2 of them that don't get used very often seem to go through batteries quicker than the ones that frequently get used.

Could a screen grab be posted that shows the change? I'm not sure where to see it on those winner people.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

This one was for a 15 year old TV that rarely gets used. It no longer had a cable box due to the fact, and I found out some time ago that you could still get cable TV (Spectrum) without one. The TV is so old that most of its built-in streaming features have stopped working. I couldn't even update its software. I initially ordered the latest Amazon Fire TV Stick but had to cancel it after discovering it wasn't compatible with Spectrum's app, So I went with the Roku Express 4K+ instead. It was a lot more involved to set up than expected but am ultimately happy with it, and have a useful TV again for $25. I mean it's a bit of a pain to watch cable TV through a streaming device which is expected due to not being their intended purpose. A cable box is far superior in that regard. The old TV will be getting replaced sooner or later as it's a little too small for the room on top of things, but I still prefer these external streaming devices over what comes built into TVs nowadays. After the winters over, I'll likely replace the cable box for the TV that's in a large finished shed on the property called the workshop with one as well. The flatscreen in there isn't used very often either so it doesn't justify the monthly cable box rental fee.

The Build of the Month trophies with corresponding number of times won are beneath members mini profiles as phpBB calls them. It's possible I have it set wrong which isn't allowing members in certain groups to see them. :?:

trophylocation.png
trophylocation.png (46.08 KiB) Viewed 234 times
trophylocation.png
trophylocation.png (46.08 KiB) Viewed 234 times

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

We use the Spectrum app on the Roku too, but after some frustration with their service have started using the Pluto app more. We were going to keep Spectrum as an ISP and cancel their streaming cable service, but they ended up basically giving us their streaming service free. We do use Pluto more than Spectrum now.

This is what I see. Maybe this isn't the mini-profile.
Screenshot_20231208-190643.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Nope, not the Mini

You can see it here ;-)

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=557203#p557203

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

RC10resto wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:24 pm Nope, not the Mini

You can see it here ;-)

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=557203#p557203
This is what that link shows me.
Screenshot_20231208-192725.png
Apparently I'm not setup to see the mini profile in posts. That must be something in how I have my preferences setup.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

ok, Phone vs Home Computer thing...

I see it on my Desktop but not on my iPhone :wink:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:16 pm We use the Spectrum app on the Roku too, but after some frustration with their service have started using the Pluto app more. We were going to keep Spectrum as an ISP and cancel their streaming cable service, but they ended up basically giving us their streaming service free. We do use Pluto more than Spectrum now.

This is what I see. Maybe this isn't the mini-profile.
Screenshot_20231208-190643.png

I loaded the Pluto app on along with some others I read were supposed to be similar. I haven't checked everything out in depth yet as now I have a minor cold. :?

RC10resto wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 pm ok, Phone vs Home Computer thing...

I see it on my Desktop but not on my iPhone :wink:

Yup, that's it! Half of our traffic comes from smart phones, yet it feels like I always forget about them. :? I guess I'm confounded by people wanting to view the Internet through tiny little screens. I expect everyone to still be on either a desktop or laptop like back in the day. No exceptions! :lol: Even though these message boards of yore are now designed to work on much smaller screens, it comes at the cost of consolidation. They still don't handle it well regardless. Those
on desktops, laptops, netbooks, and tablets shouldn't have a problem.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Hey, I can see it on my laptop! :lol: Cool!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I decided to give the 'Scans Archive' forum it's entirely own section instead of a forum with a bunch of subforums. I then consolidated the two similar magazine scan subforums it had into one due to redundancy.

I'm contemplating doing the same for the 'Other Makes/Models' forum but left it alone for now.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

when you see a notification at the top, does anyone have a trick for knowing which one to click to clear the stupid thing? LOL. I end up clicking on 5 or 6 of the latest interactions that ive already seen before figuring out which is causing the notification count. You'd think they would be bold if unread or something.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

Not sure if this is what you're referring to...
For the longest time I would return to the home page by using the left ( go back ) arrow on the left side of the address bar, that does not seem to clear the notification for that post I just viewed.
I now try to use the RC10talk logo to return to the home page. When I return to the home page and view notifications it will clear that particular notification for that post.

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Well for me it's more a matter of knowing which notification I haven't seen yet. Like right now I have no notifications, but if I click it will show all the old ones. Well when I get one notification it's not always the first one on the list so I have to click each one to see which I haven't actually read.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I know what you're referring to. I'm not certain, but I believe the unread notifications are supposed to be a different color from the rest to make them easy to differentiate. Whoever made our default skin (theme) either neglected to make unread notifications a different color or couldn't due to the color palette used. I've never given it much thought until now, and will verify what the deal is the next time I get a notification.

To clear the notifications all at once, there's "Mark all read" text you can click/tap on to clear them all in one go.

markallread.jpg