Fish on wheels

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Fish on wheels

Post by myfordcnc »

This is pretty much the level of my driving ability.

[youtube]YbNmL6hSNKw[/youtube]

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Fish on wheels

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The 19lb alloy RC10 now makes sense! :lol:

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

If i could drive a billet block around I would. :lol:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

myfordcnc wrote:If i could drive a billet block around I would. :lol:
ALL POLISHED AND MACHINED AND ANNODISED I HOPE!!!! :lol: 8) DON

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Cool, but useless. A goldfish has no memory, virtually no intelligence, and no use for terrestrial mobility.

Put an octopus in there, you might have something!
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

True, we'd all like to think that goldfish is actually doing something, but what it's mostly seeing from the inside of that tank is its reflection.

The image-mapping is interesting, but it's a case of technology imparting a false sense of intelligence upon a fish that is otherwise clueless as to what's going on.

This could've been so much more compelling if it was done with a rat.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Pretty sure a rat would have drowned

:lol: :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

But it would've been compelling for awhile. :o
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

Not that I'm championing goldfish but that 3 second memory thing is not accurate. An octopus though yeah would be a bit scary. That's all we need cyborg cephalopods. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1106884/Three-second-memory-myth-Fish-remember-months.html

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

gomachv wrote:Pretty sure a rat would have drowned

Not necessarily. Can fill the tank with oxygenated fluorocarbon liquid and the mouse wouldn't drown.

This was one of the pics in my chem book from college:

On the gold fish....in the pet store they tell you not to tap the glass on the tank because it scares the b'jeezus out of the fish. Imagine what that fish must've been going through in the fish tank on wheels. As the tank shook from moving the fish's instincts told it to flee....which just cause the tank to move more....which caused the fish to want to flee more....etc. :lol:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Not that I'm championing goldfish but that 3 second memory thing is not accurate.
It's not even 3 seconds. They have ZERO object permanence; as soon as something is removed from their sensory perception, it ceases to exist to them. By comparison, domestic cats have approximately 16 hours of of object permanence memory. A human being's can be for life, if the memory has enough significance to be stored as permanent (although object permanence doesn't begin to manifest in the human brain until about 10-12 months of age).

Remember, short term memories are chemical, while long-term are a physical change in the brain.

Memory is different from behavioral modification studies like
Scientists found that fish trained to respond to certain sounds in captivity still reacted months later when they heard them in the wild.
in which the permanent memory is forced by repetition (often extreme).
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
They have ZERO object permanence; as soon as something is removed from their sensory perception, it ceases to exist to them.
I'm pretty much the same way :oops: Once I close this webpage you all cease to exist :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Phin wrote:
gomachv wrote:Pretty sure a rat would have drowned

Not necessarily. Can fill the tank with oxygenated fluorocarbon liquid and the mouse wouldn't drown.

This was one of the pics in my chem book from college:

On the gold fish....in the pet store they tell you not to tap the glass on the tank because it scares the b'jeezus out of the fish. Imagine what that fish must've been going through in the fish tank on wheels. As the tank shook from moving the fish's instincts told it to flee....which just cause the tank to move more....which caused the fish to want to flee more....etc. :lol:
what's the 100g weight in the bottom of the beaker for?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
Not that I'm championing goldfish but that 3 second memory thing is not accurate.
It's not even 3 seconds. They have ZERO object permanence; as soon as something is removed from their sensory perception, it ceases to exist to them. By comparison, domestic cats have approximately 16 hours of of object permanence memory. A human being's can be for life, if the memory has enough significance to be stored as permanent (although object permanence doesn't begin to manifest in the human brain until about 10-12 months of age).

Remember, short term memories are chemical, while long-term are a physical change in the brain.

Memory is different from behavioral modification studies like
Scientists found that fish trained to respond to certain sounds in captivity still reacted months later when they heard them in the wild.
in which the permanent memory is forced by repetition (often extreme).
True...even flatworms have a very basic immediate memory of what stimulus causes a negative reaction vs. a positive one. That's not an indication of intelligence, of course.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Charlie don't surf wrote:what's the 100g weight in the bottom of the beaker for?
Mice float. :idea: