B4 parts supplies drying up

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

B4 parts supplies drying up

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I have a B4 RTR I bought a while back on eBay and haven't run yet. The price was perfect for a used 'modern' basher, and for a model that I figured would have future parts availability like a 2nd gen Camaro considering how long the B4 platform was Associated's main 2WD buggy. But looking around, from what I can tell, I was very wrong about that. Last I looked maybe a year ago there were parts aplenty pretty much everywhere but now I'm hard pressed to even find a body for it, be it Associated or aftermarket.

Sorry, not a question, more of a gripe than anything. :|

GoMachV

Re: B4 parts supplies drying up

Post by GoMachV »

AE can’t supply parts for their current cars, and has no interest in their older inventory. Sorry, I should say Thunder Tiger. I truly believe AE would love to support all the old stuff that makes sense to stock, but with a parent company only interested in the bottom line it won’t happen. Look at the price of classic and rere worlds parts now. They don’t think they would sell another run of all the plastic parts in no time?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I understand that and I certainly agree with you. I'm not expecting Associated to be making more spares, I just assumed there was a bunch of random parts inventory out there already in hobby shops and online stores due to how popular the car was and it seems like it's almost gone already.

You have me worried with "AE can’t supply parts for their current cars". Is that really an issue they're having? Is buying, say, a B6.3 not a great idea if you were actually going to run/race it?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

DR10 customers are always having a hard time with parts, and a lot of those are shared with a couple other current vehicles. Mainly gears, arms, front suspension parts. Stuff that should be plentiful. Last year while you couldn’t buy parts they were popping out rtr cars with different color bodies no problem :roll: I also find it annoying that while a lot of b5 parts fit, and would be great upgrades like the C and D blocks and pills, they are no longer available. I don’t know about the b6.3 parts specifically but as far as drag stuff they just don’t support their current rig.
Attachments
B7C5FFB1-762C-48F9-ABCC-89E981FCEA23.jpeg
17BF7803-E8F0-4E19-A948-959EB387A31A.jpeg
51C6DF02-D655-4BAB-B11E-F780865C4A77.jpeg
756B762A-C052-4805-9C8B-3D6F0A3BC736.jpeg
088E9DD2-6349-41D2-9ABF-B637935DEFC9.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Well that's discouraging, bordering on depressing. Is this an industry wide thing or is Associated just not the big player they used to be?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

With the exception of Traxxas and somewhat Tamiya, pretty much industry wide.

It doesn't apply to Traxxas because they still use many of the parts.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah Traxxas still keeps filling the same molds with plastic and shooting out parts. Not sure why AE/TT can’t make money doing the same thing. Parts availability for Traxxas is usually the best in the business even though they all come direct from Traxxas instead of through a distributor. Kyosho and tamiya have been some of the worst for parts lately, almost like nothing is shipping from overseas.
Factory Works website

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I'm beginning to see the draw of those cheap 1:12/14/16-scale Chinese-made RTRs that are out there now if you just want something to bash with. They actually have parts support, even 'aftermarket' parts support. But even if they didn't, an entire running system costs as much as a Grasshopper kit so they are practically disposable. Hit a curb and take the front and rear suspension completely off one side of the car? No problem! Just buy a new rig and keep the old one for parts and you're still ahead of the game!

How our hobby has changed... :(

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:51 pm I'm beginning to see the draw of those cheap 1:12/14/16-scale Chinese-made RTRs that are out there now if you just want something to bash with. They actually have parts support, even 'aftermarket' parts support. But even if they didn't, an entire running system costs as much as a Grasshopper kit so they are practically disposable. Hit a curb and take the front and rear suspension completely off one side of the car? No problem! Just buy a new rig and keep the old one for parts and you're still ahead of the game!

How our hobby has changed... :(
And that is why my basher is a Traxxas. Just about anything that breaks costs less than $5.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Yeah, I can see that logic. I just wish there was a Traxxas buggy I really wanted, not just one I'd settle for. And I wish they made kits! A 4WD buggy would be nice.

I guess I may start looking for a Bandit to play with, new or otherwise.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

This thread is interesting and very timely. I've just been shopping at Kyosho America website for parts and they have almost nothing on hand.

"Availability: Sorry, at this time we are out of stock on this particular item." is everywhere I look -- even for new products. Very frustrating!!!

Anyway, we shouldn't forget our lhs as they may still have a few items we need. It's unfortunate for me that my lhs is over 50 miles away. :roll:
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm Yeah, I can see that logic. I just wish there was a Traxxas buggy I really wanted, not just one I'd settle for. And I wish they made kits! A 4WD buggy would be nice.

I guess I may start looking for a Bandit to play with, new or otherwise.
Actually, they do offer kits for some models. Availability varies, as does which models they are offering in kit form.

Lots of people convert the 4wd Rustler into buggies.

Oddly enough, Traxxas vehicles seem to hold their value pretty well. It's quite common for used ones to be close to new prices, and probably missing parts as well.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:05 pm I have a B4 RTR I bought a while back on eBay and haven't run yet. The price was perfect for a used 'modern' basher, and for a model that I figured would have future parts availability like a 2nd gen Camaro considering how long the B4 platform was Associated's main 2WD buggy. But looking around, from what I can tell, I was very wrong about that. Last I looked maybe a year ago there were parts aplenty pretty much everywhere but now I'm hard pressed to even find a body for it, be it Associated or aftermarket.

Sorry, not a question, more of a gripe than anything. :|
I've actually noticed hobby shops clearing out inventory. Tower just got rid of bunching of 4/5/6 parts at sale prices.
I tried to hit it fast enough but the $1 front and rear b4 arms sold out in an instant.

I think you may have some luck with 4b.2 4t.3 parts but the old imperial measure parts are done.

From a hobby shop perspective, why keep around parts that haven't moved for over a decade? I picked up v1 threaded shock bodies that were an option part for the t4 for $15. They must of had them in inventory since before 2013. At some point you clear that stuff out for parts that move. I'd imagine as more shops clear out inventory buyers like Valkyrie rc will buy up inventory in bulk and mark it up to the point where it makes some business sense.

From another point local shops stock parts that support their racers and the kits they sell. I doubt that a real profit is made from selling parts.

Honestly you shouldn't worry that much. Most original rc10 parts are still available 30 years on. Sure you may have to pay $12 for what used to be a $2 part but in reality parts don't break that often. The b4/t4/sc10 share so many parts there are going to be parts available for a while, even if you have to pay extra for an option parts.

I had been looking for a b4/t4 and the prices are now high enough that it's less expensive to buy a b6.0.

Is there anything specific you need? I have some parts.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

wrote:
From another point local shops stock parts that support their racers and the kits they sell. I doubt that a real profit is made from selling parts.
The margin on parts is (was?) several times better than the margin on kits. Back when I was behind the counter, the profit on selling a spare set of arms, spur gear, and a bumper were more than the $12 markup on the kit itself. We heard about it when we didn’t push for the sale.
Factory Works website

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

GoMachV wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 am
wrote:
The margin on parts is (was?) several times better than the margin on kits. Back when I was behind the counter, the profit on selling a spare set of arms, spur gear, and a bumper were more than the $12 markup on the kit itself. We heard about it when we didn’t push for the sale.
What you are saying makes sense. I was thinking that the volume common parts, batteries, motors, tires and gears would make more total than kit specific parts.
Is that why kits don't come with tires or rims anymore?