Stealth Transmission à la carte

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Chemical

Stealth Transmission à la carte

Post by Chemical »

With new Stealth Transmission kits unavailable, I created a "wish list" online at A-Main hobbies of all the individual parts to build one.
Adding up the nickels and dimes, the grand total would be $167 USD. Only one part is missing (left out-drive).
Partial screen shot:
amain screen.PNG

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Stealth Transmission à la carte

Post by XLR8 »

Do you think if, as a group effort, we flooded AE and every other AE parts source worldwide with requests for the left out-drive that it might trigger AE's inventory management system to place new production orders for that part with their suppliers? We should do that and see what happens. :mrgreen:
Doug

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Chemical wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:46 pm With new Stealth Transmission kits unavailable, I created a "wish list" online at A-Main hobbies of all the individual parts to build one.
Adding up the nickels and dimes, the grand total would be $167 USD. Only one part is missing (left out-drive).
Partial screen shot:
From the picture I can see you have used 6564 transmission. Don't the gear mesh is screwed up and has incorrect backlash.

Use 6565 transmission case and 6570 idler gear. :D

WOW $167!!! it can be done for less.
Attachments
stealth.jpg

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Yep, can be done for around 100 bucks, or less. Biggest thing is the outdrives.
Bum on Direct Deposit

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

NomadRacer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am Yep, can be done for around 100 bucks, or less. Biggest thing is the outdrives.
I know where you can get a pair in beautiful aluminum for $32 + shipping! :mrgreen:

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

NomadRacer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am Yep, can be done for around 100 bucks, or less. Biggest thing is the outdrives.
wanted to build a new stealth for my latest build
and have every part needed new in package in my bins except for the outdrives , so I just had to order a beater from ebay and hope for the best

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

discgolfer72 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 pm
wanted to build a new stealth for my latest build
and have every part needed new in package in my bins except for the outdrives , so I just had to order a beater from ebay and hope for the best
You can get this...

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43231

:mrgreen:
Bum on Direct Deposit

DPowell

Post by DPowell »

Needing a Stealth transmission also.

Would an AE SC10 9853 ball diff kit be a possible solution for hard to find out drives?

Thanks,

Doug

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

DPowell wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 pm Needing a Stealth transmission also.

Would an AE SC10 9853 ball diff kit be a possible solution for hard to find out drives?

Thanks,

Doug
Those out drives aren't compatible with the RC10 stealth trans . The SC10 is based on the B4 platform .

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Correct. The SC10 (B4) tranny is 2.6:1 ratio (52t diff gear) while the Stealth is 2.25:1 ratio (45t diff gear). So, the obstacle to using SC10 out-drives in a Stealth is a difference in ring diameters (bone interface and bearings are the same).
SC10 uses ring #7666 (fits 52t gear) while Stealth uses ring #6579 (fits a 45t gear). So the SC10 out-drives require a ring that is too large to fit the Stealth's gear.
Maybe someone could design and print a special Stealth case that will accept an SC10 diff assembly.
Doug

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I have turned a set of b4 outdrives down to the smaller ring size. You have to turn the od down, and trim back the lip/flange so the 2.25 ring fits.

It's hard material so it's hard on the lathe and tooling, for a large machine, it's no big deal. For you taig guys, I don't thing it will do it. I used an old atlas 6" lathe and it was NOT happy.

I suppose you could also mount a die grinder in your toolpost and grind it down also. Tend to get grit in your lathe however.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

jwscab wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 am I have turned a set of b4 outdrives down to the smaller ring size. You have to turn the od down, and trim back the lip/flange so the 2.25 ring fits.

It's hard material so it's hard on the lathe and tooling, for a large machine, it's no big deal. For you taig guys, I don't thing it will do it. I used an old atlas 6" lathe and it was NOT happy.

I suppose you could also mount a die grinder in your toolpost and grind it down also. Tend to get grit in your lathe however.
I'd not try it with a Micro Lathe like the Taig. I got onto hardened tool steel with a Carbide bit and it destroyed the bit, ruined the part and the belt (lathe drive) was smoked. Cost me some bucks. :(
Bum on Direct Deposit

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jwscab wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 am I have turned a set of b4 outdrives down to the smaller ring size. You have to turn the od down, and trim back the lip/flange so the 2.25 ring fits.

Awesome! I've always thought that might be possible, just been waiting for someone to tell us they've done it. So, as the supply of Stealth out-drives dry up, there are options besides just parking our cars.
Doug

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

there is a crappy picture of them in this thread:
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21295&hilit=outdrive+machined&start=300

yeah, the problem is all of the new stuff is going to a metric outdrive bearing, and as B4/T4 starts to dry up, they will be hard to find. SO if you are planning to try it, get a couple sets while still around.

a printed stealth case that fits the metric bearing and gear diff/ball diff of the newer cars would be cool.