3dSets Sandy beach buggy

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

3dSets Sandy beach buggy

Post by GoMachV »

If I don’t constantly have 18 things going on to keep my kind busy I end up on eBay buying stuff :mrgreen: I decided to do some printing to keep me occupied between real jobs coming in. 3dSets released a new printable buggy just recently and wow- I was impressed. I bought the files, cost me $30, and started printing. I’m really amazed at the way they constructed the car, it’s a different perspective than what we are used to seeing. It’s beefy too which is great as it’s made to be printed entirely out of PLA. I decided to build the diff version. I am only a few parts in but really a neat all around setup and I can’t wait to see how it evolves. I already have some transmission ideas cause the belts are really rigid and feel inefficient as they are.

Here’s a link to the Sandy, but poke around- their new A Team van is crazy!
https://3dsets.com/product/model-11-sandy/
23B18182-5A7E-4988-A5D7-D04E386FC6D3.jpeg
8A635E8D-F5A3-4B81-AFAE-4B795BF1CA1C.jpeg
26089BE8-9019-4758-A586-B871215F52AE.jpeg
D729FA22-E9E0-4196-95D9-5F9D38669213.jpeg
CD4351E6-094E-4C89-B68A-3D963F07D92D.jpeg
273EF779-AFA8-42F0-B823-E7A7F265D817.jpeg
4 of the 6 buzzing away, the 2 enclosed are not needed for these prints
73F0875F-BE78-4CCE-8EC5-E4D63180CBF6.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: 3dSets Sandy beach buggy

Post by XLR8 »

What a cool project!

Matt at the Scale Builder's Guild just finished a 1/6 scale snow mobile which was entirely 3d printed. He also bought the files.

Considering the countless hours they've spent designing these vehicles, sorting out the drive train, making them suitable for home printing, etc., $30 seems ridiculously cheap for the files.

Almost makes me want a printer - almost. :D
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

XLR8 wrote: Almost makes me want a printer - almost. :D
Attachments
178AAD0D-B40D-4BF9-812E-E5C119646EAD.gif
178AAD0D-B40D-4BF9-812E-E5C119646EAD.gif (146.72 KiB) Viewed 690 times
178AAD0D-B40D-4BF9-812E-E5C119646EAD.gif
178AAD0D-B40D-4BF9-812E-E5C119646EAD.gif (146.72 KiB) Viewed 690 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Looks very interesting , the choice of 1/8 is good for printing ,as you say it allows the trans to be chunky , are you going to be sanding and spraying the body or leave it natural ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I have always been bad with paint so unless a friend steps up and offers I’ll probably leave it as printed

I was trying to figure out how to make the seats look less like the black interior but without changing the color too far (considered tan, flat black, or even white..) and remembered I had a spool of carbon pla. It didn’t work well at all for strength but the texture and color ended up perfect for seats

Also, I will likely end up reprinting that interior with a finer layer height and much slower. That was a draft print since I knew I was about out of that filament and wouldn’t be buying another of the same brand
Attachments
A5F64356-1FC4-4D03-9F3F-561D6F6C25F5.jpeg
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The seats look just right , if your not too far into printing the body id highly recommend the new dual colour silk filaments , they change colour as you look from different angles , I'm doing parts for my Sand Rover build in a dual colour filament and it really looks good , if you did the body you would need to orientate all the parts the same on the bed so the effect was consistent but it would look sick , check out some YouTube clips on dual colour filament before going any further .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

This one is going to be purple but I already have a second one in mind with several mods. That would be an interesting filament to work with, as these body panels print at all different angles.
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Thanks for posting! I may get the Landy, as I have a '74S3, and there are loads of accessories and conversions for it on thingiverse.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

assuming their other kits are the same as far as fit and finish you will be very pleased! There is a place called rcprinter that sells the screws sets and other essentials if you prefer to not source them. Since I have hardware all I needed were belts and a motor, both off Amazon.

https://rcprinter.com
Factory Works website

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I follow them since I have a printer at home... Their kits are really nice... And they tried to make it handy for printers with some specific printers with gcodes ready to print but it should be fine with the stl as long as you know how to do slicing... There is even some calibration parts provided to print first in order to make sure your printer is properly set for the dimensions... I guess yours are, Jeff, but I believe it's not obvious for everyone (had someone showing me something amond my friends asking why there was something that looked elliptic while on the model was not, and it turned out that his printer was not calibrated at all).

I believe those kits, among others are also making room slowly for mainstream printing (even if setting a printer correctly is still a nightmare nowadays)...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I have spent the last couple weeks trying to get my printers all tuned as close as I can. Setting accurate steps are the most time consuming for me, using a dial indicator to get the movements exact. My next difficulty was that even though the steps are tuned correctly, the print was still larger than expected. Turns out the flow was too high, most of my printers ended up around 95%, but was was down to 87% to get it correct. At this point both my inner and outer surfaces were pretty close, but then I had some empty spots causing me to need to increase the flow slightly. All my printers allow pid tuning of bed and nozzle, and every time I change a temp I run the calibration. It makes a big difference in the fluctuation of the temps. I use pressure advance and found my k factor likes to be around .3. Since all my machines use the same hot end and orbiter I have used that number across the board. My retractions like to be around 2mm at 45mm/s. It’s been a lot of work getting them tuned but for the most part I can print a part on one now and know it will interface with a part printed on another of my printers.
Factory Works website

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Made a little progress, just printing when I have time. So far the build has been great- the fitment of the parts is awesome. Still need to clean them up a bit and remove some glue
Attachments
received_1330250911091729.jpeg
received_1265399171023301.jpeg
received_713230640539997.jpeg
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Really liking this , specially as I'm building a Sand Rover right now ,love the body style .

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

Late to this thread, but thanks for sharing Jeff!

Their site has a few models that catch my eye. Time to put my printers to work 8)

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:03 am There is a place called rcprinter that sells the screws sets and other essentials if you prefer to not source them. Since I have hardware all I needed were belts and a motor, both off Amazon.

https://rcprinter.com
I placed my 3dsets Landy order last night, and went to rcprinter.com to see if that was a better deal than to source fasteners / bearings individually. For screws/nuts/bearings, I was at $75 shipped through rcp, which at first I thought was ridiculous, but when you get into it, it really isn't. The idea of $75 for screws and bearings is intimidating! BUT, this kit requires 400+ screws/nuts, and 38 bearings. :shock: The majority of the fasteners needed are M2, which I don't keep any stock of, and what is needed isn't evenly distributed so a kit or two of generic M2 screws won't cut it (IE needing 2 of one length, and 113 of another). I could have sat down for 1-2 hours and sourced out the hardware maybe 10-20% cheaper than rcprinter, but for someone like myself, it just isn't worth the time, just go to rcprinter and get it over width.

I did cheat a little bit and order a bearing set that included some "calibration" bearings from Amazon same day, so I can get into that right away, and get to printing parts! :D I won't need the actual hardware for some time, so rcp shipping will be fine.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.