GoMachV's Ultima's- oval, buggies and trucks oh my

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

GoMachV's Ultima's- oval, buggies and trucks oh my

Post by GoMachV »

Couldn't turn down 4 parts cars from K Town on the 'bay

Just cleaned up the plastics, scrubbed and ultrasonic bath. Now I just need to cherry pic the best, second best, and third best to set aside and start building...something. I haven't started in on cleanup of the metal parts, chassis or other bits yet.

I have one trans that I just rebuilt with a ball diff and hard final, new motor plate and case. The other trans is the best gear diff pieces. There is a trackmaster direct drive in the mix currently being rebuilt.

The chassis are stock alum, turbo alum, pro and an aftermarket I believe. None are in great shape so I'd like to find a very nice new plate to complete one build. I have a set of outlaw tires and wheels so I may go period correct outlaw ultima with carbon chassis, ball diff, adjustable arms, andys front arms, universals, and possibly my robinson tracker kit. Just a thought.

The final one will probably be the stock chassis as its far from perfect but usable, and make a runner of it. We will see.

Some pics:

Holy cow, the stock plastic radio plate isn't even broken :shock:

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: Ultima project started: with no particular direction in

Post by REMJ666 »

You have a lot of projects man...Shocked that you get any of them done :) Another shelfer ????
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

REMJ666 wrote:You have a lot of projects man...Shocked that you get any of them done :) Another shelfer ????
One for the shelf, one for sale, and one "runner". The runner will probably get sold as well. I don't like having 6 of everything but this was a way to get one real good car and still make my money back
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

It's hard not to end up with 3 or 4 of something when you set out to make one "good" one, isn't it?

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I better see that TrackMaster bolted in there! :mrgreen:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

LTO_Dave wrote:I better see that TrackMaster bolted in there! :mrgreen:
Build one as a Sideways with the direct drive trans. That way you can keep two cars and they'll be different from each other. ;)

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Phin wrote:
LTO_Dave wrote:I better see that TrackMaster bolted in there! :mrgreen:
Build one as a Sideways with the direct drive trans. That way you can keep two cars and they'll be different from each other. ;)
That's a great idea! That plus my Losi sprinter will give me incentive to finish my little side-yard dirt oval track...

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If you built a dirt oval I would put some good electronics in the dominator. I've always wanted to run one but it seems like a waste to run it up and down the street :roll:

Sideways tires and wheels as well as the cage are expensive! Plus that thing is ugly as sin!

Here is the "runner", all the third worst parts lol. I still want to find a long truck tower and run it as an outlaw ultima since I have good tires and wheels for it. The front shocks are duratrax and will be upgraded to longs when I find the tower. Also need a few little pieces

Now I'm off to source lots of parts lol

Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:If you built a dirt oval I would put some good electronics in the dominator. I've always wanted to run one but it seems like a waste to run it up and down the street :roll:

Sideways tires and wheels as well as the cage are expensive! Plus that thing is so lovely that it would be a sin!

Here is the "runner", all the third worst parts lol. I still want to find a long truck tower and run it as an outlaw ultima since I have good tires and wheels for it. The front shocks are duratrax and will be upgraded to longs when I find the tower. Also need a few little pieces

Now I'm off to source lots of parts lol
Corrected the obvious error.

Who told You to run Duratrax´s on a Kyosho? There are rules You know!
Gone fishing

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Kyosho blacks were the only other option. They won't leak, I promise! (They are empty!)

Holy cow I need a couple UM14's and didn't realize they were "rare" now. Gonna have to dig at the LHS's!

I still say the Sideways is ugly! I'm a dirt track guy and it just doesn't look right. Nevertheless I couldn't afford to build it that way anyway :mrgreen:
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I also like the idea of making a dirt oval car, but also, how about doing an on-road conversion and maybe build a third one as bulletproof as possible, making it into a beast?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

the direct drive will def be a dirt oval, just not sure how I want to go about it. I would like to find the old bolink shorty towers, or make some similar
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:Kyosho blacks were the only other option. They won't leak, I promise! (They are empty!)

Holy cow I need a couple UM14's and didn't realize they were "rare" now. Gonna have to dig at the LHS's!

I still say the Sideways is ugly! I'm a dirt track guy and it just doesn't look right. Nevertheless I couldn't afford to build it that way anyway :mrgreen:
Blame the rarity of the UM14 on the Mid, they use the same setup - that´s why prices went beserk.
And in my opinion, it´s no even a good steering setup. For running purpose I´d use other bellcranks.

You could also build a Saurus, that´s not too expensive if You use the original wheels.
I´ve had my Sideways for 3 years now, and despite of me having all the parts for it, I haven´t really gotten around to finishing it.
Attachments
Saurus Sideways 012.jpg
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If by UM-14 you're referring to the body posts, fireboy on eBay has a half dozen of those at $4.95 per. Seems pretty reasonable, at least if you can get him to ship them in a plain-Jane envelope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UM-14-Front-Body-Post-Kyosho-Ultima-Triumph-Rampage-Outrage-/400562775862?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4366e736
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

DennisM wrote:
gomachv wrote: Holy cow I need a couple UM14's and didn't realize they were "rare" now. Gonna have to dig at the LHS's!
Blame the rarity of the UM14 on the Mid, they use the same setup - that´s why prices went beserk.
And in my opinion, it´s no even a good steering setup. For running purpose I´d use other bellcranks.

If you just need the steering bell-cranks, these are much better, just add the ball bearings and a rack. 8)

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Special-Unicrank_p_6479.html