What did you get for Christmas rc or not

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

acrazyjohnny

What did you get for Christmas rc or not

Post by acrazyjohnny »

What did you guys order or get for Christmas whether its RC or not.

I ordered 2 rc10gt trucks for parts. I have now decided to make one electric and use other for parts.

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: What did you get for Christmas rc or not

Post by Lowgear »

This Christmas I opted to go the retro gaming route. When I moved six years ago I uncovered a box containing my SNES cartridges I still had from the 90s. Ever since then I've really wanted to start playing the video games from back in the day again. The problem is I'll only be satisfied by doing it a certain way. I'm not a fan of the many cheap and soulless methods to do it.

The absolute best way would be to hook up the original consoles to a CRT TV. Unfortunately that would take up space that I don't have.

The next best way would be to hook up the original consoles to a modern flat-screen TV but that requires a very expensive upscaler. Also, there's still the space requirement for all those consoles.

The best compromise I could find was using one of the RetroN products. It's a console that allows you to play several different systems games via the original cartridges and controllers in one unit. I never ended up buying one due to the many problems, and lackluster specs. Then around two years ago I learned of a similar product that I felt was superior to the RetroN. It's called a Retro Freak and is only available in Japan. You can have one imported but it can take a few weeks, and you have to pay customs. I found the better way to go about it is to buy a new one off eBay that someone already imported here to the US as they generally go for cheaper then the price from Japan. Luckily one showed up for sale a week before Christmas so I decided that's what I wanted this year. Looks like I have the rest of the winter planned out now. :P

I also got a 32gb MicroSD memory card for it, and a transformer to step down US voltage to Japanese voltage. It's not necessary but should make the system last longer by feeding it the correct power.

I also received a lot of other stuff but nothing interesting enough to post here about. :P

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Fiber optic internet! Installation tomorrow morning.
Bum on Direct Deposit

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Some shop tools, couple of tshirts and one of those cool usb endoscope deals. Figure it will come in handy trouble shooting car and house stuff in the future. I already plan to use it to see if I have a leaky heater core in the wife's car.

acrazyjohnny

Post by acrazyjohnny »

Lowgear wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:00 am This Christmas I opted to go the retro gaming route. When I moved six years ago I uncovered a box containing my SNES cartridges I still had from the 90s. Ever since then I've really wanted to start playing the video games from back in the day again. The problem is I'll only be satisfied by doing it a certain way. I'm not a fan of the many cheap and soulless methods to do it.

The absolute best way would be to hook up the original consoles to a CRT TV. Unfortunately that would take up space that I don't have.

The next best way would be to hook up the original consoles to a modern flat-screen TV but that requires a very expensive upscaler. Also, there's still the space requirement for all those consoles.

The best compromise I could find was using one of the RetroN products. It's a console that allows you to play several different systems games via the original cartridges and controllers in one unit. I never ended up buying one due to the many problems, and lackluster specs. Then around two years ago I learned of a similar product that I felt was superior to the RetroN. It's called a Retro Freak and is only available in Japan. You can have one imported but it can take a few weeks, and you have to pay customs. I found the better way to go about it is to buy a new one off eBay that someone already imported here to the US as they generally go for cheaper then the price from Japan. Luckily one showed up for sale a week before Christmas so I decided that's what I wanted this year. Looks like I have the rest of the winter planned out now. :P

I also got a 32gb MicroSD memory card for it, and a transformer to step down US voltage to Japanese voltage. It's not necessary but should make the system last longer by feeding it the correct power.

I also received a lot of other stuff but nothing interesting enough to post here about. :P
Near me there is a store called micro center they have whole arcade cabinets and table top ones they sell. I also saw they sell buttons as well as the joy stick separately. I liked it until they put a raspberry pi in it. It freaking tiny. And all that's cabinet for that little thing. I was disappointed. I did a few of the original xbox with emulators but man some of the games I had were awesome. Soulless maybe but nothing we can do. I have a few old consoles. However playing them makes you not want play the older games honestly. And upscaling is a pita too.. old xbox $20+ Few hours 2000+ games

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

40v brushless 16" chainsaw...

I also found a new-from-kit chassis for my JRX Pro SE that I picked up for myself, along with new ball studs and hardware.

Trees are in trouble, and the Pro SE is going full shelfer.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I asked for this and was super excited to get it: http://www.newbright.com/products/dash-cam-2/. I just needed some sort of change of pace. :mrgreen:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

My Bathroom remodel has been my Xmas gift. Started out with rotten floor under the toilet. Once into it, I found more rot which required a lot of dry wall replacement. I decided to rip out the lame tiny tub and put in a giant soaking tub. I’m $10k into the project and i still have more to do but it’s going to be sweet when it’s all done.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I got this:
IMG-20181229-WA0000.jpeg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Nice work Sho! I'm glad you're putting in the tub and decided to put in an action shot rather than Farmer. I'm not sure the internet could take it... :?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Lowgear, I know what you mean. I have all of my old NES and SNES cartridges and machines to play them, but they still have the same old issue of not working unless I insert them and re-insert them about a hundred times or blow on them until I'm blue in the face. (yes, there are at least 1,293 easy jokes to follow that, but I don't have time). I bought the Gamebox Hero about 8 months ago. It serves as a great archive for me if nothing else. It's basically a Raspberry Pi that someone went thru all the trouble to load for you. I also bought some USB NES controllers to go with the SNES that came with it. I bought the Platinum and it's loaded with about every game I could ever think of all the way back to Commodore 64 and Atari. Easily worth the money IMO. I don't play it as much as I thought I would, but I do sleep better at night knowing that all the games are in my library at least in some form...

https://gameboxhero.com/
Lowgear wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:00 am This Christmas I opted to go the retro gaming route. When I moved six years ago I uncovered a box containing my SNES cartridges I still had from the 90s. Ever since then I've really wanted to start playing the video games from back in the day again. The problem is I'll only be satisfied by doing it a certain way. I'm not a fan of the many cheap and soulless methods to do it.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm Nice work Sho! I'm glad you're putting in the tub and decided to put in an action shot rather than Farmer. I'm not sure the internet could take it... :?
I was half expecting a bubble bath RC photo :shock:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

RC10th wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 pm
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm Nice work Sho! I'm glad you're putting in the tub and decided to put in an action shot rather than Farmer. I'm not sure the internet could take it... :?
I was half expecting a bubble bath RC photo :shock:
I was glad there wasn't :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

acrazyjohnny wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:32 pm Near me there is a store called micro center they have whole arcade cabinets and table top ones they sell. I also saw they sell buttons as well as the joy stick separately. I liked it until they put a raspberry pi in it. It freaking tiny. And all that's cabinet for that little thing. I was disappointed. I did a few of the original xbox with emulators but man some of the games I had were awesome. Soulless maybe but nothing we can do. I have a few old consoles. However playing them makes you not want play the older games honestly. And upscaling is a pita too.. old xbox $20+ Few hours 2000+ games
It's one thing to make faux cabs to put that stuff in but it's another thing when they ruin original cabs by gutting them to put that stuff in. But hey, I guess there's some kind of market for it or it wouldn't be done.

A large portion of my youth in the 80s and 90s revolved around video games. I also spent 20 years of summer vacations in the arcades of southern NJ. I even had a short stint as a repair tech. Coin-op/arcade machines are one of my other hobbies. I've played some 'modern' games but just don't have much of an interest in them. You gotta remember I have an unhealthy addiction to nostalgia, so I don't think I'll have a problem of not wanting to play the older ones. :mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am Lowgear, I know what you mean. I have all of my old NES and SNES cartridges and machines to play them, but they still have the same old issue of not working unless I insert them and re-insert them about a hundred times or blow on them until I'm blue in the face. (yes, there are at least 1,293 easy jokes to follow that, but I don't have time). I bought the Gamebox Hero about 8 months ago. It serves as a great archive for me if nothing else. It's basically a Raspberry Pi that someone went thru all the trouble to load for you. I also bought some USB NES controllers to go with the SNES that came with it. I bought the Platinum and it's loaded with about every game I could ever think of all the way back to Commodore 64 and Atari. Easily worth the money IMO. I don't play it as much as I thought I would, but I do sleep better at night knowing that all the games are in my library at least in some form...

https://gameboxhero.com/
It's crazy how with modern technology, you can fit just about every game made over a 30 year period into a little box. I wanted to avoid going the route of getting a product like that as I want to own a physical copy of each game. It'll seem weird to some but I want to touch the cartridges, and look at the artwork, and be transported back to another time. It's a necessary part of the experience to me. If I had what boils down to a flash drive loaded with a thousand ROM files, I don't think I'd use it much either. It loses a lot of the magic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad such things exist as it allows for the preservation of the games, and an easy way to access them. :)

I still can't find my box of games. I looked for another hour or two last night. They're pretty much the only thing I own that I don't know where it is. :?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

My folks gave the wife and I some cash for Christmas so some of its gone on an HG P407 Bruiser clone .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.