The Official "What is it?" Thread

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: The Official "What is it?" Thread

Post by Phin »

Picked up a lot this week thinking it had a couple of CW Dominator sprocket diffs in it but turned out to be something else I can't ID. I'm almost certain the diff halves are from a MIP SP-1 transmission but I don't know where the diff sprocket is from....fits the diff halves perfectly though. The spool sprocket piece is also a mystery piece to me.

The two black pieces at the top of the pic were the "trans cases" and were borrowed/modified for something that was likely custom built. I'm guessing the sprocket parts were borrowed from something else too? I'm doubting the sprockets were custom machined by the same previous owner who hacked up the plastic mounts....anyone who could do the pro machine work on the sprockets could've machined better mounts. :?
Attachments
sprktparts.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Bulkheads are yokomo 834b
I think the direct drive sprocket is also

The diff sprocket and diff halves may be from the thorp yokomo front diffs?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Didn't think about the 834b and looks like you're right about the bulkheads and front spool. I just did some looking though and the stock 834b sprockets came in 12t and 13t didn't they? This one is 14t.

As for the front diff...maybe the sprocket is from the Thorp ball diff but I still believe the diff halves are from a MIP trans. I also don't think it'll work as a front ball diff since when it's assembled the sprocket is nearly centered, not off to one side like the spool. Doesn't mount in the bulkhead either.

The ball diff was pinned together through both halves and the sprocket and the more I look at it the less I think it'll actually give any opposite spin. The holes for the diff balls may be spaced a little to far out. I can't find any spare diff balls small enough to fit to test it out....going to have to take apart another trans to borrow some.

Thanks for the help. :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Phin wrote:Didn't think about the 834b and looks like you're right about the bulkheads and front spool. I just did some looking though and the stock 834b sprockets came in 12t and 13t didn't they? This one is 14t.

As for the front diff...maybe the sprocket is from the Thorp ball diff but I still believe the diff halves are from a MIP trans. I also don't think it'll work as a front ball diff since when it's assembled the sprocket is nearly centered, not off to one side like the spool. Doesn't mount in the bulkhead either.

The ball diff was pinned together through both halves and the sprocket and the more I look at it the less I think it'll actually give any opposite spin. The holes for the diff balls may be spaced a little to far out. I can't find any spare diff balls small enough to fit to test it out....going to have to take apart another trans to borrow some.

Thanks for the help. :)
If the sprocket is an odd size, it might be a SRP product for the SRP-1 and or Dominator

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The only pics of an SRP sprocket where I can count the teeth look like they're larger...18t-20t.

Put the diff together and I do get some opposite spin action but it ain't smooth. Adding to the sprocket and diff halves being mixed parts from differnet origins is that the middle of the diff balls in the sprocket ride on the very edge of the diff halves but there's also light wear from diff balls that are further in towards the center.

The front spool axle is probably from an 834b like gomahcv said, and the diff halves are from a MIP SP-1. The diff sprocket and the spool sprocket are probably borrowed from somewhere else.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

diff parts are from MIP for sure

Bong024
Approved Member

Post by Bong024 »

Can't seem to id this motor plate. Came with a bunch of kyosho and team associated stuff. Any ideas??
Attachments
image.jpg
I'm not like them, but I can pretend...

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Traxxas hawk (gen 1)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bong024
Approved Member

Post by Bong024 »

Thank you. You have crazy knowledge sir!
I'm not like them, but I can pretend...

Barnfind
Approved Member

Post by Barnfind »

anyone know what car this is?
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Optima mid with aftermarket (jg?) chassis
Factory Works website

Barnfind
Approved Member

Post by Barnfind »

gomachv wrote:Optima mid with aftermarket (jg?) chassis
Thanks for the quick response. Is it easy to source parts for this car I was thinking of picking it up to either run as a weekend fun car or resale to fund other projects.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Barnfind wrote:anyone know what car this is?
I can't see the condition from that picture, but the Optima Mid is a very capable, great-performing car. That would be a nice project car and well worth restoring or modding. Lots of people here can help with the build, if you buy it; just search the Kyosho section for Optima Mid. Parts aren't too hard to find but some, like the diffs, can be pricey...it all depends on what can be cleaned up and what's damaged or worn out & needs replacing. Can't determine that from the picture, unfortunately. The chassis has lots of potential. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Found these in an eBay lot I got a bit ago. I know what it is...but I've never seen mention of the aluminum shock spacer in a production kit. Unfortunately these are not great examples, but are they original? I know the manual showed them
Attachments
image.jpg
Factory Works website

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Phin wrote:Picked up a lot this week thinking it had a couple of CW Dominator sprocket diffs in it but turned out to be something else I can't ID. I'm almost certain the diff halves are from a MIP SP-1 transmission but I don't know where the diff sprocket is from....fits the diff halves perfectly though. The spool sprocket piece is also a mystery piece to me.

The two black pieces at the top of the pic were the "trans cases" and were borrowed/modified for something that was likely custom built. I'm guessing the sprocket parts were borrowed from something else too? I'm doubting the sprockets were custom machined by the same previous owner who hacked up the plastic mounts....anyone who could do the pro machine work on the sprockets could've machined better mounts. :?

The chain sprocket on a shaft with 1 drive cup looks like kyosho progress front drive.