RCScrewz for RC10 Graphite

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mwildmann
Approved Member

RCScrewz for RC10 Graphite

Post by Mwildmann »

Hi all, I tried searching and didn't find anything about this. I got a stainless screw kit for the RC10 Worlds car for use on my Graphite chassis Team Car (t least I think that's what it is). The new screws aren't the correct head angle to match the chassis. What is that all about? Does anyone know what size countersink reamer I should use to adjust the countersinks on the chassis so the screw heads sit flush? I gotta say, I am not at all happy about this. Considering returning the kit and looking into the kit from Team KNK instead.

Thanks for the guidance!

GoMachV

Re: RCScrewz for RC10 Graphite

Post by GoMachV »

This has been a problem for a while with other screw sets, KNK are the ones we typically recommend.

Don't mess with the chassis. The reason for the 100⁰ screws is due to the thickness of the chassis. If you countersunk them to match the wrong screws the taper will protrude the thickness of the chassis and damage the nylon parts. Just pick up the right screw set or get the 8-32 100⁰ screws (1/2" aand 3/4" should get you going) you are lacking. Mcmaster Carr would have them.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Return them, if you try to countersink your chassis to use the wrong ones you’ll open the hole too big and it will not tighten down the parts that are mounted to it.
Annnnd I take so long to type Jeff answered you way more clearly in the meantime….. :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

Thank you both for the advice! I was really apprehensive about messing with the carbon chassis. I'm going to get a return process started and order a kit from KNK.

If I was working with a typical aluminum gold pan would I still have this situation? I'm assuming so but I'd like to know because it'll give me more ammunition to get a return approved.

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate the help.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Yes, aluminum pan chassis would have the same countersink incompatibility.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Instead of the pre-packaged kit, I prefer to piece together the hardware that I want. I just buy the 8-32 X 1/2 in bulk from KnK (along with other stuff).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

FWIW, if you or someone you know has access to a lathe, it's possible to change the angle on the screw heads. I've done it myself on a small lot of stainless #8-32 screws.
Doug

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

XLR8 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 am FWIW, if you or someone you know has access to a lathe, it's possible to change the angle on the screw heads. I've done it myself on a small lot of stainless #8-32 screws.
That would be a large effort to do all these screws...plus I don't know anyone with a lathe. Thanks for the idea though.

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:07 am Instead of the pre-packaged kit, I prefer to piece together the hardware that I want. I just buy the 8-32 X 1/2 in bulk from KnK (along with other stuff).
Hoping to return these to RCScrewz since they kinda "screwed" me, haha, pun intended. Anyway, since I want to replace all the hardware, I'll be placing an order to KnK shortly to get the whole set so I can get started putting this thing back together. If it was just a couple screw sizes, I'd definitely just buy what I need.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Fastener express sells kits of blue aluminum screws that will work for your car. https://www.fastener-express.com/blue-aluminum-fasteners-for-your-rc10-all-aluminum-chastainlessis.aspx
This is what I used on my team car rebuild. They currently sell the kits with the correct countersink for rc10.

You'll need to ask for an extra 7/8" screw as this is the kit for the worlds car but they included it for me with no charge.

At the least it's a nice list of what you'd need.

Mwildmann
Approved Member

Post by Mwildmann »

JosephS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am Fastener express sells kits of blue aluminum screws that will work for your car. https://www.fastener-express.com/blue-aluminum-fasteners-for-your-rc10-all-aluminum-chastainlessis.aspx
This is what I used on my team car rebuild. They currently sell the kits with the correct countersink for rc10.

You'll need to ask for an extra 7/8" screw as this is the kit for the worlds car but they included it for me with no charge.

At the least it's a nice list of what you'd need.
Dang, Joseph, you were 2 hours too late. I just ordered the stainless kit from KnK. Didn't know any kits of aluminum hardware were available. Maybe for the next one. Thanks for the heads-up though.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

The Custom Works blue aluminum screws are the correct angle as well.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:20 pm The Custom Works blue aluminum screws are the correct angle as well.
Do the CRC screws also have the correct the angle?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:05 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:20 pm The Custom Works blue aluminum screws are the correct angle as well.
Do the CRC screws also have the correct the angle?
I want to say that I read somewhere that they did but I don't know for sure.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yes crc are the correct 100⁰
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website