The Official "What is it?" Thread

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: The Official "What is it?" Thread

Post by XLR8 »

Been trying to ID the specific variant of this TA02. The front shock tower is unlike the standard TA02 and the 'S, 'T, 'W and 'SW versions.
It's the very low droop and notch in the middle that makes it unique.
Any guesses?
s-l1600 (3).png
s-l1600 (1).png
s-l1600.jpg
Doug

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

XLR8 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:27 pm Been trying to ID the specific variant of this TA02. The front shock tower is unlike the standard TA02 and the 'S, 'T, 'W and 'SW versions.
It's the very low droop and notch in the middle that makes it unique.
Any guesses?

s-l1600 (3).png

s-l1600 (1).png

s-l1600.jpg
I'd suggest it's a TA01, rather than a TA02.... based on the blue shocks at least (and maybe the upper arms).
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

the cut down front tower, red front knuckles, 2 hole front arms, and forward facing rear arms with long chassis also suggest TA01
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I picked up a black faceplated Victor Engineering ESC but it has no case markings on it so I have no idea what model it could be. There also is a double lead setup on the neg battery wire. One goes through a fuse and the other bypasses the fuse. Probably not a VE setup, but I've never seen this done before so I'm not certain. Any thoughts?
PXL_20230519_201222163.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This one confuses me. I'm kind of interested in making a 4 wheel steering buggy and this looks like it is setup with steering knuckles in the back. Maybe a Schumacher gearbox too? This could be a Frankenstein creation (not that there's anything wrong with that) or it could be something common I'm just unfamiliar with. Any thoughts?
IMG_20230531_082141~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

PB Mini Mustang

Dadio has a thread here outlining a rebuild
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=44441
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Is that mostly how they come? The rear suspension seems unusual. Or is that for alignment adjustment capabilities?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

GoMachV wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:54 pm Dadio has a thread here outlining a rebuild
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=44441
Thanks!

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Looks like it's got an offset battery chassis for oval racing.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I've got two of those Victor Engineering esc's but both of mine have silver stickers on the top, not black like yours. Not sure whether that signifies anything though? Both of mine are top dog VIC-4A's. Is there definitely nothing down to the bottom right corner of the front face of the case?
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 pm This one confuses me. I'm kind of interested in making a 4 wheel steering buggy and this looks like it is setup with steering knuckles in the back. Maybe a Schumacher gearbox too? This could be a Frankenstein creation (not that there's anything wrong with that) or it could be something common I'm just unfamiliar with. Any thoughts?
IMG_20230531_082141~2.jpg
Be a bit of a shame to do any halm to a Mini Mustang but yes it has identical suspension front and rear with the rear track rods connected to a fixed point on the chassis, by adjusting the track rod length and position it's connected to the chassis you can not only adjust the toe in or out but also deliberately add bump steer to create roll induced steering at the rear , kind of 4ws but controlled by geometry not the servo .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

dinglem wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm I've got two of those Victor Engineering esc's but both of mine have silver stickers on the top, not black like yours. Not sure whether that signifies anything though? Both of mine are top dog VIC-4A's. Is there definitely nothing down to the bottom right corner of the front face of the case?
Definitely no remnant of a model marking on the case. I have one silver top ESC with a faint 2B marking, but nothing on this one.

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Post by Elkcycles »

I have a body (for which I have no use) and a swaybar that I can't place. Anyone care to venture a guess?
Screenshot_20230614-231720_Gallery.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20230614-231725_Gallery.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Body is a Parma shark
Sway bar looks like the composite craft due to the round pieces it uses and the ball joints it comes with. I don't know exactly which fitment it is tho
Attachments
Screenshot_20230614_213023_Firefox.jpg
img2640_11112011042001_4.jpg
Factory Works website

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Post by Elkcycles »

Thank you! I assumed it was cut down, but couldn't fathom how much was gone. I didn't realize it was supposed to have a steep rake. It looks... special. Now the Desert Dog for Optima next to it in the promotional appeals to me.