SilverTriple's printing stuff...

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: SilverTriple's printing stuff...

Post by silvertriple »

I did pursue my tests with the PLA as support interface material for PETG...

And once the flushing volumes are set properly to avoid material pollution, there is no more adhesion issue within the print. Indeed I just bump a bit the flushing volumes before it goes to the purge tower... And it is a success, with a near perfect print...

And it would work as well with PETG as support interface for PLA. That being said, I did not succeed to do the same with part where most of the surface lies on a PLA surface (exemple the Shogun battery door), as it warps due to the difference of material temperature: this for sure requires more work.
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

And just because it maybe usefull to one who wants to try...
Here is my flushing volume settings for this print. PLA White (Bambu Lab) is 1 and PETG Orange (Sunlu) is 8 in the chart.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

After the PETG / PLA combination, I wanted to adjust the settings to be able to do some difficult ABS prints, using HIPS as support interface... I did initial testing last week, which were quite unsuccessfull as there was some mix up in the filaments printed, causing some key adhesion issues...

I did set the purge to 600 instead of 500 mm3, and it seems much better... There is still a bit of adhesion issue on one of the tabs to fix the battery plate, but we are getting close. And since they work at the same temperature, there is no warping issue...
That said it is not perfect yet, and I may decide to use full supports printed in HIPS in this configuration, it may be easier to detach, all the more so as, there is some dissolvent that works for HIPS and that doesn't dissolve ABS...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

After 3 months of use, the original dessicant delivered with the first AMS are depleting... Time to print some trays for reusable dessicant beads...

I've also ordered reusable dessicant beads with orange indicators: https://amzn.eu/d/6t9aHSS

LoCoCNC
Approved Member

Post by LoCoCNC »

I have been resin printing these little replacement pulley covers for Kyosho Optima Belt Drive Conversions. ABS Like black resin. I like them, actually better than originals.
PXL_20230705_031904272.jpg
PXL_20230705_031902493.jpg
PXL_20230705_031901046.jpg
PXL_20230705_031655765.jpg
And this design does not look original but it actually works much better and is stronger.
PXL_20230705_031643097.jpg
PXL_20230705_031639685.jpg
PXL_20230705_031637480.jpg

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Those pulley look covers look good... But I'm not sure that ABS-like resins are good for this type of use: deflection temperatures are quite low, and resistance may not as good as you expect.. You may have to consider Nylon like resins which are far much better in terms of resistance...

LoCoCNC
Approved Member

Post by LoCoCNC »

silvertriple wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:47 pm Those pulley look covers look good... But I'm not sure that ABS-like resins are good for this type of use: deflection temperatures are quite low, and resistance may not as good as you expect.. You may have to consider Nylon like resins which are far much better in terms of resistance...
Maybe, but temp should not be an issue, how hot could it possibly get The cover is just the little tiny bit that covers the opening you have to cut as a mod that Kyosho made instead of making all new transmission housings. I agree if it were the whole housing halfs, but it isn't even structural, it is literally just to keep the dirt out. It is also quite well protected from impact.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

LoCoCNC wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:37 pm
silvertriple wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:47 pm Those pulley look covers look good... But I'm not sure that ABS-like resins are good for this type of use: deflection temperatures are quite low, and resistance may not as good as you expect.. You may have to consider Nylon like resins which are far much better in terms of resistance...
Maybe, but temp should not be an issue, how hot could it possibly get The cover is just the little tiny bit that covers the opening you have to cut as a mod that Kyosho made instead of making all new transmission housings. I agree if it were the whole housing halfs, but it isn't even structural, it is literally just to keep the dirt out. It is also quite well protected from impact.
As per what I saw, most of the ABS resin temp deflection temps are around the same than PLA in FDM, some even slightly lower, in other terms about 50-55°C. Some friend was happy to show is PLA printed car a morning, he ran it and he stopped it as the motor plate was actually warping due to the motor temperature... He got the car back in his car and later on in the afternoon, he showed a superb piece of melted car... And it was not even a very hot day...
That's were I'm not too fan of the resins xxx-like : some of the characteristics are interesting and on par with the xxx material, but not all of them, and very often the deflection temperature is very different. Nylon-like resins may be a better fit, with better resistance and more flex, and deflection temperatures around 70-75°(which is still very much lower than Nylon, making it not suitable for gears, for example)...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Resin printing mysteries...

I printed some glass in transparent flex resin earlier today... Here is how I put the parts on the plate.

First print 2 of the 4 glasses printed. Seems it did not stick to the plate for 2 of the parts. I cleaned my FEP (very easy to identify where to remove stuff with transparent resin). As two printed and I needed 4, I did proceed with a reprint after the removal of what was still on the FEP. No slicing change, no levelling, nothing. And all 4 parts printed!!!

Seems printing resin is slightly impredictible...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

With the Super Wheelie project heading to build time, I need to print tires again...

Resin choice is Resione F80, because it just works...

One thing that I definietly improved is the cleaning process with 2 bath of IPA (the second one is fresh IPA).

I'm now laucnhing a front, and will repeat if a success for both...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Very nice !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I got the Front printed successfully as well....

Now repeating the operation to get two more tires... I may slice some Hunter/Galaxy tires later on...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Getting tired by people expecting answers to questions they dare to ask on facebok groups on those topics while they never share or publish anything... This is very disappointing, to say the least.... (sorry for the bad mood today)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:29 pm Getting tired by people expecting answers to questions they dare to ask on facebok groups on those topics while they never share or publish anything... This is very disappointing, to say the least.... (sorry for the bad mood today)
Facebook is an odd entity, could be great but for people :roll: it's useful if you want to sell anything but at a cost to your soal .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Don't you just love the ones that can't even form a sentence? I get those a lot.... "STL?"

Haha .. no... No STL.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website