Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Lowgear »

Halgar wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 am
Lowgear wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:38 am I mean they don't even drive on the right side of the road for goodness' sake. :wink: :P :lol:
Well, technically . . . :? :x :mrgreen:
Well technically they DO drive on the right side of the car.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm interested in this too. So this thread has 21 pages. What determines when page 21 is full and page 22 starts?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

It's currently set at 50 topics per page, and 15 posts per topic page.

So when this page reaches 15 posts, it will go to page 22.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Is the not being able to edit most of my posts a new thing, or have I just not paid that much attention to it? :) I don't recall not seeing the little edit pencil any time I have wanted to edit previously, although, I don't really edit that much so maybe it has always been like that.
NO EDIT (TEMP).jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

morrisey0 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:20 pm Is the not being able to edit most of my posts a new thing, or have I just not paid that much attention to it? :) I don't recall not seeing the little edit pencil any time I have wanted to edit previously, although, I don't really edit that much so maybe it has always been like that.
NO EDIT (TEMP).jpg
You can't edit after a certain period of time.

However, you can still edit the first post of the thread.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Had a few people delete all their posts and disappear. Had to lock it down to keep from losing it.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Thanks guys. I guess that also answers the question of why you can't delete any of your posts. When I do want to edit a post, I tend to accidently hit the quote button instead, and then just kinda locked into a double post.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yeah unfortunately a few bad apples spoiled it for everyone else. Safeguards had to be put into place to prevent a future occurrence from ever happening again.

Currently you can edit your posts for 7 days after being made, and also the ability to delete them within 24 hours. It's been this way for a little over 2 years now. The setting is bypassed in some crucial areas though like in the gallery for example.

In an odd coincidence, I was recently playing around with a new mod I installed that keeps a record of every edited post. This would alleviate the editing restriction since if someone tried to do something maliciously again, it could be reverted. I wasn't particularly impressed with how the mod functioned though, and was a bit concerned with the additional strain it may put on the server. If you guys feel not having a time limit on editing posts is important enough, I have no problem switching over to it.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

GoMachV wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:31 pm Had a few people delete all their posts and disappear. Had to lock it down to keep from losing it.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Lowgear wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:00 am Yeah unfortunately a few bad apples spoiled it for everyone else. Safeguards had to be put into place to prevent a future occurrence from ever happening again.

Currently you can edit your posts for 7 days after being made, and also the ability to delete them within 24 hours. It's been this way for a little over 2 years now. The setting is bypassed in some crucial areas though like in the gallery for example.

In an odd coincidence, I was recently playing around with a new mod I installed that keeps a record of every edited post. This would alleviate the editing restriction since if someone tried to do something maliciously again, it could be reverted. I wasn't particularly impressed with how the mod functioned though, and was a bit concerned with the additional strain it may put on the server. If you guys feel not having a time limit on editing posts is important enough, I have no problem switching over to it.
I have some specific goals for post editing. I sometimes use this board like a notebook for research on builds. It could be helpful to edit older posts when something turns out to be wrong or when new information comes out. Pretty specifically I have part substitutions in mind that now point to discontinued or broken links.

I understand completely why you'd need to lock it down from your experience. Would it be possible to have a single page that each user would be able to always edit, like a home page?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

You can still edit the first post of any thread that you started.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

JosephS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 pm
Lowgear wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:00 am Yeah unfortunately a few bad apples spoiled it for everyone else. Safeguards had to be put into place to prevent a future occurrence from ever happening again.

I have some specific goals for post editing. I sometimes use this board like a notebook for research on builds. It could be helpful to edit older posts when something turns out to be wrong or when new information comes out. Pretty specifically I have part substitutions in mind that now point to discontinued or broken links.

I understand completely why you'd need to lock it down from your experience. Would it be possible to have a single page that each user would be able to always edit, like a home page?
I agree, in general I like the idea of "locking" posts to preserve the historical value of this information for the ages. However, for very long and detailed threads sometimes folk (such as myself) will add a couple follow on posts to the original with a "place holder" so we can come back and add items later. It would be nice to be able to edit those as well. It is a difficult balance for certain :mrgreen:

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:25 pm You can still edit the first post of any thread that you started.
Doesn't look like I can. I will forever have to live with a post looking for a servo shatter.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:28 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:25 pm You can still edit the first post of any thread that you started.
Doesn't look like I can. I will forever have to live with a post looking for a servo shatter.
I checked several threads that I've started, the first post in all of them still has the edit tab. I even checked my first post, in the welcome center.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:46 pm
JosephS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:28 pm
I checked several threads that I've started, the first post in all of them still has the edit tab. I even checked my first post, in the welcome center.
My oldest ones no longer have an edit tab though the ones from mid 2021 do.